Mamiya 645 Pro vs Super

jack_welsh

<p>What are the differences in the 645 Pro and the 645 Super? Besides being the Pro is newer. I am thinking about getting a Mamiya MF camera, that will be great to take for traveling and has more shots per roll than my other Mamiya MF's. Would the Super, even though being older,be worth saving a few dollars over the Pro? I am only thinking about these two.<br>

Thanks!</p>

<p>I think there may some minor differences between the way they work with the metering prisms, (to do with the flash metering/ready light etc?) but the main difference you hear quoted is that the winding mechanism inside the Super bodies isn't as hard wearing as the Pro/TL, so if you're using it heavily with a motor drive you can wear it out. Other than that, just the fact a Pro will be newer so, on paper at least, less likely to have problems.<br>

I think if you shop around you may be able to get a pro body for little more than a Super anyway, so might be worth the extra few bananas. However if you get a Super in good nick and don't plan on thrashing it with a motor drive it should be a good buy.</p>

<p>Look here for manuals and take a quick read - (shareware site) - best on the web IMHO -</p>

<p>http://www.butkus.org/chinon/mamiya.htm look for the appropriate pdf's.</p>

<p>Plus discussed here a few times -</p>

<p>http://www.photo.net/medium-format-photography-forum/00GJND</p>

<p>The newer Mamiyas have increased the amount of plastic and auto features, like anything else. I use the M645 1000S with WLF and PDS prism. I'm happy with the lens quality and ease of use; obviously it's manual but then I use these bodies contemplatively on a tripod not for street shooting, tho one could. I do use the 645 on a neck strap a lot recently, and it's not too bad that way. My bigger bro cam, the RB67 ProS, makes for better huge enlargements, but just about triples the weight.</p>

<p>I would suggest getting an auxiliary grip for whatever body, as it makes it easier to carry and handhold.<br>

happy shooting... Jim M</p>

<p>Thanks for the responses. I will probably get a grip for it. I agree with you, Jim about the Pro-S, I have one, too. It would be too heavy to drag to another city,as would the Universal. The 645, would be a big daddy to a 35 SLR. The dilemma is spending the money on another camera system. The 645 would be a better traveling camera. But, also needing a newer lens for my 4x5 Cambo. The ones I have now came from a Speed Graphic and a Polaroid 110. Also, needing a wide angle lens and one more back for my RB. I feel that the 645 is a good choice for what it is intended for, though. Will probably get a 55-110 zoom instead of carrying 2 lenses. Even though it is a F4.5. If i decide to get a prime lens, first. Will get the 80 2.8,don't need a 1.9 and the 2.8 is cheaper.<br>

So,I guess from your comments, that a motor drive is bad for a Super, but, not for the Pro?</p>

<p>Since the bodies are now so cheap I would spend the extra to get a Pro (or ProTL). A quick look at KEH prices suggests that the price difference is now negligable - and you get a much newer camera. I have not had a reliability issue with the pro or ProTL. I would advise against a 6x7 for travelling unless you are very dedicated. I do not use the mamiya but my Fuji GX680 (albeit larger than the 6x7 Mamiya) is not very portable and can cause issues at airport security - they usually think it is a movie camera!</p>