Mamiya 645 Pro TL

harmon

<p>I have only shot 35mm but I would like to shoot some 120 film. Is a Mamiya 645 Pro TL a good choice? I have an opportunity to buy a used one. Any thoughts on what the market might be for a used camera in good working order would be much appreciated. </p>

As long as you're happy with manual focus and aren't after a digital back then it's a great choice: good handling, great glass, interchangeable finders, hot-swappable film backs, a wide range of accessories, and reasonable prices - there's a lot to like about this camera and very little if anything to dislike.

As for used prices - try looking up recently-completed eBay sales of similar kits to get a good idea of what to offer.

<p>Pro TL is a good start in MF as it handles like an SLR. There are several viewfinders available and the metering prism (there are two 401 and 402) makes it very close to an SLR. An 80mm lens is approx a 50mm equivalent and a good start. A second back (or at least a second insert) is a good idea. If you plan to shoot on a tripod you may want a remote release. Here you have two options - either a plug in adaptor that connects to a standard mechanical release or the 401 winder. Of the two I find the adaptor tends to unlock and fall out while the 401 winder is a good option but is big and heavy.</p>

<p>I enjoy my Pro TL a lot and have found lenses to be extremely abundant and cheap. The Pro TL is the last manual focus model Mamiya made for their 645 line so there is nothing old or retro about this camera. I recommend the AE prism finder and the larger winder unless you are really eager to go old school with a WLF and hand winding crank. That can be a lot of fun too and it makes the camera quite a bit smaller.</p>

<p> The Pro TL is a good used starter camera for several reasons. Most importantly it is one of the last fully modular bodies made. (The 645E uses inserts, no magazines so no mid roll film changes, and has a fixed VF).</p>

<p>I'm not sure what the above poster means by stating that the "Pro TL handles like an SLR"? It should be pointed out that the Pro TL is an "SLR" camera. Using a mirror box and a prism to allow direct viewing.</p>

<p> Also I'm not sure what he means when he states that: adding winders 401 & 402 make the camera "very close" to an SLR? Perhaps he is referring to a 35MM SLR? The Mamiya 645 cameras are much larger and heavier than any 35MM SLR.</p>

<p>645 cameras unlike most other MF cameras have vertical film paths., rather than horizontal ones. This allows the height of the frame to be narrower than the film's width. It also tends to makes the cameras unwieldy, bulky boxes.Of course the trade off are the larger negatives.</p>

<p>The Pro TL is a great camera, and as its name suggests, if you want to use flash it is TTL. I have taken some of my best shots with it. The lenses are abundant and cheap. I sold it only after moving to a Mamiya AFD as the auto focus was better for my aging eyes.</p>