Mamiya 645 pro TL

edgar_njari

"Can you think of any top commercial/editorial/fashion photographers of today that use it? I only know one, and that's Steven Lippman"

Why is this important? Are you not going to consider it if you can't find one more name? And who is Steven Lippman anyway? Truth is, it doesn't matter who he is if the camera is a good one and suits your purpose.

This is a superb system, and the Mamiya 645 lenses are world class and can be had used for really cheap. It is built like a tank and I prefer the PRO-TL it over the AF version.

I'd say most "top commercial/editorial/fashion photographers" that still use film are using 6x7 or square though.

It is a serious amateur/pro camera.

Mamiya makes good stuff - tons of pros use Mamiya's RZ/RB 67's. Maybe the smaller format is an issue. I have seen pros use 645 here and there and often it is a Mamiya (vs. Contax, Bronica or Pentax).

The old 645 was more of an amateur camera. The newer Pro TL has interchangeable backs, among other things that make it a more serious camera.

Its hard to compare to Hasselblad, but the 645 is not a Holga and is a lot closer to the Hassleblad.

Go to mamiya.com.

Yes, if you limit yourself to SLRs. But most 6x6 SLRs are also very hand-holdable, but with a mirror this large, you always have trouble handing the camera absolutely steady when it fires. I use my RZ67 a lot hand-held, but pictures look nearly always better if I have a tripod and mirror lock-up.

Both the 'blad and the Mamiya 645ProTL are perfectly handholdable, and both are a pleasure to use handheld. With the Mamiya, I have no problems at 1/125 (and only rare problems at 1/60) for lenses up to 110mm but find the 150mm completely hopeless for handholding.

The Mamiya 645ProTL is widely used by fashion and portrait photographers in Japan. (Whereas the Pentax 645 is used by the landscape types over here.) The Mamiya 645 lenses are (apparently) designed more for bokeh than sharpness, and the Pentax lenses more for sharpness than bokeh. From experience, I have to work to persuade the Mamiya 35/3.5 to produce sharp images, but it will, and the 55/2.8 and 110/2.8 are both sharp and excellent in the out of focus areas. And I've seen some horrendously bad bokeh from Pentax lenses in the landscape magazines over here.

Both the Mamiya and the 'blad allow you to squeeze the shutter release between thumb at the back of the camera and a finger at the front, which means one is applying almost no unbalanced forces to the cameras as one is shooting, making for very stable shooting. I find generic SLRs and rangefinders to be a far worse design for handheld shooting, in terms of difficulty/ease of not shaking the camera. But I'm probably the only one who thinks this.

One camera is never enough!

I use a Bronica RF645 as a "travel light" camera. But rangefinder cameras do have limitations - no tight head shots and limited lens choices. Probably best as a second camera.

For now, I'd suggest that you go with an SLR because of the versatility. The Mamiya 645 is probably the best value - excellent used gear is readily available and cheap. The Hasselblads are excellent, but the lenses are expensive. The Mamiya RZ is excellent, too, if you have a strong back and plan to use a tripod most all of the time (or as a studio camera).