will like the camera with or without the grip. If I were to take the grip off

will there be knobs or parts that I need to make the camera correct again. Or

do you just remove the grip and you are good to go, so to speak. I have not

actually seen one of these camera's. There is not any place withing 100 miles

that you can go look at MF camera's. That's about it but I would be interested

in pro and con for this camera if you would be so kind. It comes with an 80mm

f2.8 lens and a SV Finder (center weighted). Another option would be to buy

new but I would have to go with the waist level finder and no power grip to

fit my budget that has already been stretched. Thanks!

<blockquote><i>I have not actually seen one of these camera's.</i></blockquote>

Nolan, without doubt the Mamiya M645 Pro TL is a great camera. But it also is very expensive (compared to other manual focus Mamiya cameras), so you have to ask yourself: Do you really need TTL flash metering (with Metz SCA system only)? Maybe just check out an older M645 body, play with it and if you decide to enter the medium format world, you can always sell the body and buy a Super, Pro or Pro TL.

<br> 

<blockquote><i>If I were to take the grip off will there be knobs or parts that I need to make the camera correct again. Or do you just remove the grip and you are good to go, so to speak.</i></blockquote>

The grip comes off and you need to attach the crank on the body to advance the film manually.

<br> 

<blockquote><i>pro and con for this camera</i></blockquote>

Pros:<br>

Professional, high-quality system camera<br>

Modern, accurate AE light meter (with prism)<br>

Interchangeable backs (if you need them...)<br>

TTL flash metering (if you can use it...)<br>

<p>

Cons:<br>

Adapter needed for standard cable release<br>

Flash sync only 1/60 (like most focal plane MF cameras)<br>

Very expensive camera and accessories (backs, finders, grips)<br>

(Optics are the same as all the other, less expensive M645 cameras)

you can get these cameras for pennies, the Pro (not TL) is even cheaper. Search out the auction site. I managed to get one with 4 lenses, 3 backs, power grip, metering prisms and all kinds of goodies for a mere $500 (these would have been thousands years ago before digital really took a foothold). I personally do not like the power grip, I always mount the camera on a tripod and use MLU so the grip is useless based on my workflow. At any rate, it's very easy to take the grip off and put back on. It's extremely modular. Not much cons on this camera - I've owned a few MF cameras from the FUJI GA645 to Mamiya RZ. This is the one of better compromises and cheaper than the competition (Contax, Pentax 645) - I mean you can get the lenses very cheap (cheak out KEH).

I have a Pro, Pro TTL, 45,55,80,150 lenses, 3 backs, 2 prism finders (non-metered),

Mamiya teleconvertor and a small pile of odds and ends, all bought over the last 2 years,

all at very low prices. Both prism finders were about $80 on ebay, both new old stock, one

with a price sticker for about $600 on the box. The Pro body was well under $200, Lenses

were in the $100 to a bit over $200 range each (tried to get very nice samples so paid a bit

more at times, more "used" versions would be cheaper. On average these items were as

low as 1/10 to perhaps 1/5 of their current US selling price. KEH has been a good source,

e*ay was OK but more difficult to be sure items were as described.

I started this MF "system" with a used 645e I bought with lens for about $300 but soon

sold the body for a PRO TTL body. (opting for the TTL as it was a way to know it was a bit

newer than the non TTL PRO, I do not use flash with this camera.

In fact I found I likely got caught up in how cheap these things were and assembled this

set based on previous MF equipment and use patterns. I find myself using Digital DSLR

more for the type of images I would have made with the MF set.

I have not used these items for abut a year for any real photography, (I have used the

cameras, lenses for film tests and to keep them "exercised" and have thought about selling

the set, I listed the entire set with a LowePro bag on this site a few weeks ago and got not

interested individuals in the set. I say this not to sell anything but to make a point that the

645 equipment is not a hot seller. Many studios have unloaded their older stuff to eBay,

etc so the used market is "flooded" in stuff. (need to be careful not to get a "gently used"

studio camera/lens that in reality looks quite bettle scarred. Item for Item I am sure that

now, after only 2 years I could not get back even the low prices I paid for the items I have.

Go for the PRO/PROTTL, buy the kit in parts if need be, the manual winder knob will likely

not come with a camera that has a pwoer grip but they are easy to find and easily replace

the grip.

Robert

In reference to my posting above, I am truley not interested in selling my set at this time(the above is not a hidden ad. It is of such low value that I am going to hang on for a while and see what I can do with it. I just mentioned my experience above to indicate that this line of equipment is not expensive (used). The PRO series is much more "robust" feeling than the 645e and is more adaptable (modular)and not significantly larger or bulkier (is a bit heavier ) than the 645e.

The relatively inexpensive 645e makes a good spare for emergency use, but is not robust

enough for everyday use. Unless you have a constant need for TTL flash, the Pro TL is not

an especially good investment. The M645 Pro is a very rugged machine, a good

investment, and has many, many high quality lenses and accessories available. It is a

professional-quality, workhorse camera that has never let me down.

Thanks for all the great input. Very informative stuff here. I am glad the winding crank is not big deal. It sounds like the pro TL will be a good investment for me. I am not worried about MF becoming extinct or anything. Besides in my camera club it seems everyone replaces there DSLR every 2 years anyway. I will shoot this Mamiya from here on out and much longer than 2 years.. I figure I can replace or repair any part of the camera that may give me problems easy enough. I figure it is a good idea and will be great fun. I plan on purchasing the camera tomorrow, it has a warranty and even a refund for a period of time without any conditions. Ebay for me is to risky for an expensive item so I am not considering shopping there. Thanks again for the input. I plan on buying the Pro TL because I do wish to have that function and also because the camera will be newer. The exact cheapest price is not usually my concern when shopping. Customer service, etc, are important to me. Oh, I do not need a back up camera. It's a hobby for me so if it goes out for a while then I can survive until it's repaired. Besides I have my 35mm that will still be my primary camera.

The 645 Pro TL is a great camera, I bought mine new in the box off E-bay with the power winder, 120 insert, AE finder and 80mm f/2.8 lens. $1000.00-- Check out KEH.com for lenses. I also have a RZ PRO II. My 35mm stuff never gets used now. Have fun! :-)

I have purchased from KEH. Their rating system is reliable and I refunded one item (did not work) and it was hassle free from them. It's a good place. I do believe in buying local but in this case I cannot. Nobody is selling MF. While I wait I thought I would go to Palo Alto and check out a store their, Keeble & Shuchat. I have never been there but it's reported as being a nice place with a lot of stuff, expert help, and this would allow me to handle different camera's. I will pick up some 35mm film while there also. nolan