Mamiya 645 lenses on EOS

joseph_dickerson

<p>Hi All, <br /><br />Does anyone out there have "hands-on" experience using Mamiya 645 lenses on EOS cameras utilizing shift or tilt/shift adapters.<br /><br />That pretty much says it. I do realize that aperture and focus will be manual but that's not an issue for my needs.<br /><br />I'll be using a 45mm f/2.8C initially, but might add a 55mm or 35mm later if it all works out. I'm aware of the TS-E 45mm f/2.8 but the used prices seem to be pretty high at the moment.<br /><br />Any recommendations as to which adapters are best, or should be avoided will also be appreciated.<br /><br />JD</p>

<p>Yes I use M645 lenses quite a bit on a Mirex adapter. The set up works very well although exposure needs care. While the Mirex adapter is expensive (and you have to wait a while to get it from Germany) it is exceedingly well made and worth the price. If you have the M645 lenses it is a very attractive option (even if you don't it is still very cheap). I have posted a number of images over the years on Mirex and M645 lenses on this site and I am very happy with the results.<br>

The lens I use most is the 35mm (which Canon made as TS for FD but not EOS) and it works very well. I have also used the 45mm, 55mm and 80mm (I have even played with the 120, 150 and longer lenses and posted a few images here). There is no focal length change with the M645 lenses and the IQ is much better than you may expect. There is a (myth) than MF lenses are lower resolution but I have not found this to be the case. The 25mm and 45mm lenses are a bit soft at the edges (the 35mm can only take think filters / filter holders when shifted) but still very good. The 55 and especially the 80 are excellent. I even played with the 500 F5.6 and found it was remarkably sharp (as good as some L series lenses when used without a tilt shift). <br>

Interestingly I am not alone in this observation SLR lens tests found the 35 and 45 to be soft but in a group test (not available for free on their site any more) they found the 80 F1.9 to be about as good as the Canon 85 F1.2 and the Zeiss 85 F1.4! They were not testing in a tilt or shift mode. This article may help http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/reviews/lenses/m645-shift.html<br>

here is a link to Mirex http://www.mirex-adapter.de/tilt_shift_adapter.htm<br>

I was able to use the adapter for longer lengths and just buy the 17 F4 (which makes a 24 with care and the 1.4x TC). Since I already had the M645 system from years ago this was a cheap solution. While the Mirex adapter is expensive I strongly recommend it as it is remarkably well engineered and is not much more fiddly to use than Canon's own lenses.</p>