Mamiya 645 lens compatibility with AF bodies

alpshiker

Read in that other post: "This also means that you have to focus wide open, and then close the diaphragm and take the exposure reading. Is not as handy as the with AF lenses, but you will get used to it rather quickly."

Hmmm! If I get it right, there is no reading at full opening. No very handy for handheld and candid shots...

Thanks for the feedback!

I'm pretty sure that that post was referring to "Stop Down" metering where you have

to stop the aperture down to the one you are using to meter with since the camera

doesn't know what f-stop the lens is set to, it just meters off what it "sees". Normally,

the camera knows the f-stop, and takes that into account when it meters so the lens

stays wide open for better focusing, then stops down to the selected f-stop as the

shot is taken. If you're shooting wide open, then you don't have to stop down.

• 3 months later...

What I have found that using older manual lenses with my AF is that the camera meter is not as accurate and under exposes.

Also night photography using the self timer is a no-no as the camera will not expose for longer than 4 seconds on ae call Mamiya about this, No help there!

So using manual lenses with the AF can be slow and a little frustrating with more to think about before you shoot.