mamiya 645 II and mamiya 645 III

chris_antidote

<p>The AFDIII (Phase One 645DF) camera body supports more digital back interfaces including the IQ and P+ series digital backs, as well as 3rd party digital backs from Hasselblad, Leaf and others. The Phase One 645DF camera supports versatile shutter speeds ranging from 1/4000s to 60 minutes. The 645DF also supports flash synchronization up to 1/1600 sec.<br>

It is compatible with the following lenses: Phase One digital focal plane lenses Schneider Kreuznach leaf shutter lenses Schneider 645 AFD lenses The Phase One 645DF camera body is also compatible with Hasselblad V and Pentagon 6 lenses(via a multimount adapter).</p>

<p>Okay, cool. The Mamiya 645 III has a lot more options available for use. You really can build your ideal camera with this body. Do you own this camera? I'd love to see some sample images. It's hard to find any information or photos for these cameras. </p>

<p>Chris, I own a 645 II body and as far as I know, without being too picky and specific, the main difference was/is focusing as stated in your initial statement. For what it's worth: The focusing works fine for me on the AFD II and has never been a problem, never tried the AFD III. You're also corrrect about the 645DF and AFD III cameras being two different bodies. You're also correct about info being hard to find about medium format, LOL! Another source that may help you is Getdpi.com. Good luck in your journey.<br>

Charles </p>

• 6 months later...

<p>I've got both the Phase One 645AF and the Phase One 645DF bodies, which are the equivalent of the Mamiya AFDII and AFDIII bodies.<br>

As best as I can tell the differences are,</p>

<p>1. III supports 1/1600 flash synch with Schneider leaf shutter lenses, but II only synchs to 1/800.<br>

2. II supports both digital and film backs but III only compatible with digital backs.<br>

3. II has locking button in centre of top plate control dial, III does not.<br>

4. Phase One used a dark grey rubberised coating on the AF and black on the DF, I think Mamiya used black on both the AFDII and the AFDIII.</p>

<p>About a year ago I was at a Phase One prmotion event in London and there were a lot of questions about future lens, body, and back developments. They weren't making any firm promises but dropped some hints that a body with a removable prism might be in prospect.</p>

<p>Getting off topic here but there were also suggestions that the second generation of IQ backs could change to CMOS chips and that a decent wide angle T/S lens was in the works.</p>

<p>This last point particularly got my attention. I tried the Hartblei but returned it because the image quality was very poor, the Phase One dealers that I use in London warned me about getting the Hartblei because they said image quality was low, but as there was nothing else (and I was hoping to abandon my Linhof outfit) I gave it a go. When I returned it they said I was the fourth person to buy and the previous three buyers had all returned them demanding a refund! I see it's now been dropped from the Phase One lens line up. The real puzzle is that Schneider already have an existing 55mm T/S design for the 645 format, it came in different manufacturer mounts, mainly Rollei and Bronica. I was very lucky and found a second hand one in a Mamiya 645 mount and the quality is superb. Yes, we'd all prefer a 45mm or 50mm version but why wasn't the existing Schneider design offered in place of the Hartblei?</p>

• 1 year later...

<p>Gary Ferguson, you are wrong.</p>

<ul>

<li>Mamiya 645AF (1999)</li>

<li>Mamiya 645AFD (2001) — added communication interface for digital backs</li>

<li>Mamiya 645AFD II (2005)</li>

<li>Mamiya 645AFD III (Phase One 645AF) (2008)</li>

<li>Mamiya 645DF (Phase One 645DF) (2009-current) — digital-only (no film backs)</li>

</ul>

<p>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Mamiya_products#Mamiya_645_auto_focus_series</p>