Mamiya 6 light leak solved - Sharing info.

paulopires

<p>Hello<br />I was getting a light leak or a flare problem in my Mamiya 6 and asked for help in this forum simply because you guys are the best. You did help a lot and your line of thinking was right and it made all the sense.<br /><br />As I searched in other forums, I found out some photographers with the same problem and looking for help, just as I did. I know what the problem is and this post is for sharing that information with you all. Who knows maybe it will help someone and I believe that this space is for sharing.<br>

If you ever come across a problem like this, this is caused by a hole in the camera bellows.<br />It's a leak, always in the same place, always with the same shape", it doesn't cross the frame borders and it can be somehow random.<br /><br />So, if you ever come across something like this, tell your camera mechanic to look into the camera bellows.<br /><br />Paulo</p><div>00Ytxg-370111584.jpg.52647e4c4f044f4345034ecec6e1d244.jpg</div>

<p>Thank you Steve<br><br>As I was told the Mamiya 6 is the most difficult model to open up and fix this kind of problem because of the retracting mechanism. The repair guy said he would rather open up a 7 or a 7II.<br>It's a time consuming task and he charges by the hour. <br><br><br _mce_bogus="1"></p>

At first I thought this thread referred to the Mamiya <I>SIX</I> folder, but now realize you're referring to the Mamiya 6 RF.

<P>Troubling indeed since this type of bellows problem is hard to identify from a cursory inspection.

<P>I know I've worried about bellows repair and replacement whenever I extend the lens mount.

<P>Ironically this is the beauty of the system.

<p>You are most right Kim the question is really about the time it takes to take it all out since mending the bellows it's a matter of minutes.<br>

The camera mechanic said that holes usually appear on the upper and/or lower corners of the bellows.<br /><br />From beauty comes... trouble. Ironic indeed :)</p>

<p>The problem may be considerably reduced if your shooting approach allows you to use the dark slide (usually activated only when you change lens) when you are not shooting. After making an image, cock the shutter and introduce the dark slide again until the next shot. A bit cumbersome, perhaps, but maybe worth trying. I wonder if the part of the bellows that is leaking is near the back mount; if so you might be able to patch it without haveng the bellows removed. Difficulty is to detect where the leak is so that you can try Steve's solution (a bright light cannot be easily placed on the opposite side of the bellows and seen from the other side, owing to the metal bellows shroud of the camera body).</p>

<p>That's a wise idea Arthur using the dark slide to protect the film and worth trying for sure.<br>

As I was told by the camera mechanic that kind of leak is caused by a tiny hole and he didn't give me much hope is detecting it straight away. I was looking into the bellows and I used a flashlight in a dark room but there's no "space" in the camera to handle the bellows and have a proper look.<br /><br />I think I will use the dark slide approach until my budget allows me to get it fixed. ;)<br>

Nothing hurts as much as having an amazing camera with such a stupid problem. Simple to fix and yet time consuming which makes it expensive.<br /><br />Thank you Arthur, I have the camera on me me and I'm using the dark slide to protect the film. I will know if it worked later tonight.<br>

Such an amazing camera, really love it.</p>

<p>I had the same problem in my first Mamiya 6. The effect was almost the same as yours. I simply found the hole on the bellows using a flashlight and a black cloth in the darkroom (I try to remember the top cover was removed). It was <em>so easy</em> to find, in the lower side of the bellows, middle portion of the first or second pleat.</p>

<p>I just glued a thin piece of blackout cloth, and the camera has been working since then (10 years?) without a flaw. I hope all my camera issues were as easy to solve as this one.</p>

<p>Thank you Jose but let me get this right, you actually removed the top cover of the camera?<br>

Can you please elaborate a bit more?<br>

I opened the back of the camera but there's so little space in the to check the bellows, but that's something I'm willing to try seriously.<br>

Can you please give me a few tips about how you did it?</p>

<p>It happened time ago so I don`t remenber it sharply... yes, I think I removed the top cover (plastic) to find the leak (if not, maybe for a RF adjustment, but I doubt so because it can be done with the cover in place). There are many little screws, easy to remove, and two tricky things; 1) the advance lever (<strong>caution:</strong> <em>this is a thin screw with a wide head that works in the opposite direction to ordinary ones, </em><strong>to unscrew</strong><em> it you have to</em> <strong>turn the screwdriver clockwise</strong>), and 2) the shutter speed selector wheel.</p>

<p>Removing the top cover will let you to check what`s around the bellows inside the camera. You have then to place a bright lamp inside the bellows (the dark chamber), to cover that chamber to avoid reflections and to check in a darkroom where the light leaks.</p>

<p>It can be also done in the oppsite way; just focus a bright lamp around the outer side of the bellows (from the uncovered top), and use the black cloth to isolate the dark chamber and find the leak.</p>

<p>Anyway, if you`re interested let me to show you first where my problem was; maybe you can evaluate where your leak is, or to cover the same area and to fix the problem without more hassle. I tend to think that there is something (any part inside the camera) that break the bellows by rubbing it. I can post some pics here later at home (I`m now at the office... )</p>

<p>Paulo, I still have to look for my leaked negatives, that I guess were fogged in a place very close to yours. If so, you may be lucky.</p>

<p>First, my oldest Mamiya 6 second model, version 1. I suspect there are something at the top and bottom inside the camera that bite the bellows leaving an odd scar or notch in the first pleats, when folded for storage. You should see the marks where the arrows are pointing:</p><div>00YvCg-371527584.jpg.91e2dd7fee5139257af810d560e4e2f1.jpg</div>

<p>One of this "scars" got too thin after many years of use, leaking the light through it. I try to remember that is was not a "hole" but a thinner, weared-out bellows material in this point. I just glued a thin blackout material, wide enought to cover it easily, and from what I can see I painted the borders with permanent ink. I`m surprised the damaging part is also working on the blackout tape!</p>

<p>If you don`t find anything suspicious in your bellows, I`d simply stick an small piece of black electrical tape (better something with a matte finish), shoot a roll and check for leaks. It it`s ok, remove the tape and fix the leak more solidly. If not... well, you have not more to loose.</p>

<p>It`s too late, I`ll search for my leaked negatives tomorrow... it could be a hard work!</p><div>00YvCy-371537584.jpg.fb67fba97904041240a243ae830836e8.jpg</div>

<p>Jose my friend...<br />I don't know what to say. I'm at the office now but as soon as I get home I will check those areas and you said something very interesting. The camera repair man said the same thing: "don't expect to see a hole".<br>

And from what I can see for myself something like "thinner, weared-out bellows material" is something I should look out for closely.<br>

Again I thank you for your time and help, this is absolutely precious.<br />If you ever come to this part of the world, lunch is on me! Codfish and white wine! ;)<br /><br />Thank you again my friend.</p>

<p>Jose, I just saw the exact same shape at the bottom of the bellows. I will tape it and make a test roll tomorrow.<br />I will look better for any marks on the upper side of the bellows but... I can't see anything. <br />Thank you my friend, I will take some pictures tomorrow and... hope for the best. ;)</p>

<p>I`d tape the upper side too (I tend to think that leaks are more visible in the upper side, light entering through the top cover windows, then shown in the lower half of the picture).</p>

<p>There could be no trace of bellows wear on the chamber side... if this is the real cause, wear will be more noticeable in the external side of the bellows.</p>

<p>My friend Jose<br />I've spent the last days burning film and trying to find out the leak. I couldn't find it.<br />The bellows must come out for a close inspection. This is what I was afraid of. I'm selling the camera.<br />I can't afford having it fixed and I'm not cheating anyone because the camera is in a beautiful shape and it works like a charm.<br>

I give up on this.<br />Thank you over and over again my kind friend. All the knowledge I got this last week will not be lost and all the kindness and dedication that the members of this forum had with me was amazing.<br>

Thank you so much.<br>

P</p>

<p>I`d say the leak is on the top portion of the bellows, and not so far from mine... the light rays looks to have the very same direction, and are placed slightly to the left in the vertical axis but, who knows.<br /> The only way is then to open the camera, something a bit more tricky... I`m sorry about that.<br>

Well, I think you`re taking an intelligent decision.</p>