Mamiya 6 light curtain not closing

steve_whetman

Hi folks, I have a mamiya 6 I bought from Japan and paid a fair bit taxes to get to the uk. There was a problem with the film advance lever

so sent it off to be repaired, but it's come back with a note saying the light curtain lever is cracked and I can't turn it. I'm sure it worked

before I sent it off, but it was sent from one repair shop to another, as the first place couldn't repair the film advance lever!

Does anyone know if there's a way around this if I unscrew the light curtain lever? I don't want to send it off again and returning it to

Japan will mean I I'll lose rather a lot of money.

Any suggestions appreciated!

<p>Steve, I understand your plight. The winding mechanism isn't the most robust part of my Mamiya 6 but I have had no trouble with it. It should work OK with normal careful advancing (unless the repair people messed it up or forgot to re-install some part of it).As for the light curtain control, it should work OK, it also requires turning in one direction only.</p>

<p><br /> I would return it to the repair shop that caused the curtain control problem if it is nearby, or if you can visit at some time (pre-warning them of your arrival) and politely request that they make good on the repairs or suggest a remedy.</p>

<p><br /> One other thing and it may not be related, is that there is a little button on the right hand side of the camera that sometimes requires resetting in order to put the camera back into operation (one looses a frame in doing so). This may not have anything to do with your problem, but you might try pushing it in with a tip of a ball-point pen or the like.</p>

<p><br /> Somewhere I think I have a Mamiya 6 repair manual that I could send you (<strong>if</strong> I can find it).</p>

<p><br /> The problem these days is the lack of technicians that know and undertstand the Mamiya 6 or 7. Hopefully someone else will know more than me about the situation in the UK, or about your particular problem</p>

Thanks Arthur, and Anthony,

I got it repaired at jps (johnsons photopia) so I'll give them a call and see what they think. Problem is I'm going on holiday

to Japan on Monday and had planned to use it as my main camera. Thankfully I bought a Bessa ii as a back up so I'll

take both :)