Mamiya 500 TL

<p>I was first interested in this camera because of the chunky lens, it seemed typical Mamiya.Introduced in 1966, the 500 TL and 1000 TL took M42 lenses. However, because the outer ring on the 55 mm lens protrudes behind the seating flange, it will jam on some other M42 cameras though their lenses will fit the Mamiyas.The 55 mm lens is 6 element with automatic stop down.<br>

Focussing is by means of a microprism and metering by a needle, with 1.5 V battery.A unique feature of these Mamiyas is that in 1967 they were the only spot metering M42 SLRs.Metering is from a 10% area of the subject, a rectangle at the bottom center of the frame.(There was a slightly different DTL version).The meter is activated by pushing the film advance lever towards the camera body.<br>

Some 1967 prices, GBP:<br>

Pentax Spotmatic +1.8 -120, Mamiya 100- TL+1.8 -85,Prakticamat +Oreston -90.<br>

Taking a Mamiya 67 on holiday gives a story to dine out on for ages, my 500TL is still quite heavy so here are a couple of pics from it using a red filter on a hazy day.</p><div>00bmaF-541053884.jpg.3a3ab939c5beceea7d9767c17f0b9afc.jpg</div>

<p>It seems like a lovely walk you had Alan! The camera is built like a tank and while I have resisted the temptation to buy a body. I will probably pick up one of the leses to used with an adaptor on my ancient G1.</p>

<p>It's certainly a solid old beast, <strong>Alan</strong>, and I really like the minimalist design, particularly the nice unobtrusive back-opening catch on the side. They always feel sort of practical and reliable, a camera one can trust, so to speak, and the Sekor lenses were up with the best. I really like your South Downs image; it's a fine composition with a real Edwardian look to it. Please post some more, when you get the chance.</p>

<p>Interesting that the lens on the camera is normally seen on the later MSX/DSX series, hence the SX designation. Doubt that it is original to the camera, but it is likely the same construction. The TL/DTL Auto lenses have a much narrower aperture ring.</p>

My first slr was a 1000 DTL. It didnt hold up for long, but the ergonomics were nice. I

liked the spot meter in mine. I shot the heck out of it, and got about 2 years from it

before it went kerplunk for the last time. The body is actually not very solid, and can

be easily dented, especially by the auxilliary flash shoe.

<p>I bought the lens first and later acquired the body, Starvy, which accounts for the mismatch spotted by Mark. It's a good walk from Exceat village near Eastbourne across the South Downs and onto the beach.<br>

JDM, I am interested to find out if I can get good enough print quality from 400 ISO 35 mm film to take landscapes with a red filter with hand held classic cameras. John and Gene ,views of the South Downs are popular and often appear on chocolate boxes and biscuit tins.<br>

Rick, some more pics from the beach below. Tony , I am also a Mamiya fan but in Medium Format. The actual white cliffs of Dover are about 30 miles east of my pics location, but this location has been used in movies to depict them as it is picturesque.<br>

Mike and Michael, it is good to hear owner experience as I get the impression there are not many 500/1000 TL cameras about. I'm glad they inspired you to take up photography not weightlifting.<br>

The cottages are still known as the coastguard cottages , their former use. There is erosion round the nearer one , which was in the South Downs pic above.</p><div>00bmib-541067084.jpg.716bfc25a668642ad8e013ba922dfd8b.jpg</div>