Making Photoshop your default image editor

Depends on your OS. With Win XP it must be assigned as per the image type. Assuming you mean for tif files go to a tif file in any folder and then highlight and right click, choose "Open with..." and select the "Choose program..." option (even if PS is listed above do itthis way). Then choose PS from the list of programs that then come up and be sure to click the box "Always use the selected program to open this kind if file". Then click OK. From then on PS will be the default program opened for tif files.

All windows operate in the same way. You can find the file of type you want photoshop to open and select Open With if it has the option. I believe older Windows systems were different. In windows explorer in the tools menu you select Folder Options (it may not be under tools on older versions, i forget) and select the File Types tab. Then you have to find the file and set it manually. It's a pain but it's been ages since I've done that in Win 98, or 95 (or similarly the NT systems from that time).

And I've completely forgotten how to do it on a Mac. OS X I vaguely remember. OS 9... not a clue anymore. Helpful aren't we?

Select a file of desired type (in this example, a tiff, or .tif)

Get info (File -> get info, or [command] i )

click on the triangle next to "open with"

Select Photoshop from the pull down menu (or other and go find it)

click "change all"

in OS 9, you had to change the creator type, much more complex.

Simpler to drag files onto an alias of Photoshop or, in OS X, it's dock icon)