Making PC compatible CD's with MAC

<p>I just switched to an iMAC and I can't figure out how to make CD's for my clients who have a PC? When I go to burn the cd from iphoto folder in my Mac it makes the CD but then it won't play on the PC of my clients. Is there something else I need to do with Mac. I never had this problem with my old PC. Any help would greatly be appreciated. I need to figure this out fast as I have 7 client CD's I need to get in the mail this week. Thanks so much!</p>

<p>From iPhoto help:</p>

<p><a > <a >

<p >To create a CD or DVD to be viewed in Windows or by a photo-processing company:</p>

</a>

<ol >

<li >

<p >In iPhoto, select the photos, albums, or video clips you want to burn to a disc.</p>

</li>

<li >

<p >Choose File > Export.</p>

</li>

<li >

<p >In the Export Photos window, click File Export, and then select your options.</p>

<p >For best results, choose JPEG, Maximum, and Full Size. For more information, see <a href="file:///Users/MikeBisom/Library/Documentation/Help/iPhoto%2011%20Help/index.html#">Export a photo</a>.</p>

</li>

<li >

<p >When you’re ready, click Export, and export the photos to a folder on your computer.</p>

</li>

<li >

<p >When the export is finished, quit iPhoto.</p>

</li>

<li >

<p >Click the Finder icon in the Dock, and then insert a CD-RW disc or a blank CD-R or DVD-R disc into your drive.</p>

</li>

<li >

<p >Drag the folder that contains your exported photos to the disc’s icon.</p>

</li>

<li >

<p >When the files have been copied, choose File > Burn Disc, and then click Burn.</p>

</li>

</ol>

<p > </p>

<p >On another note, Toast is a great burning app for the Mac (and uses a different burning engine than Finder). And on a 2nd note, you might want to look into Aperture if you are managing <em>client</em> files. iPhoto is a bit consumerish, but that's just my opinion.</p>

</a></p>

<p>As far as I recall, iPhoto creates an image CD/DVD that behaves like an iPhoto library and hence requires iPhoto for playback at the other end.</p>

<p>Your best bet is probably to insert and name your blank CD/DVD in the Finder and then drag&drop the thumbnails from iPhoto's library window onto the CD's icon. That will copy the plain, full-size images to the CD in a hybrid format that can be accessed by both PCs and Macs.<br>

Alternatively you can use iPhoto's Export command, choose "original" for the file format and select your CD as the export destination.</p>

<p>+1 for Toast--when I first started burning CDs from iPhoto it always seemed as though there were multiple copies of files, and it was confusing for others to find the images they were looking for. This was from the iPhoto that came with OS 10.3, circa 2004. I don't know how the current version behaves, but Toast has been virtually problem free for me and for clients.</p>

<p>I'm still using Toast 8 titanium, which came with my external LaCie CD/DVD burner. Only the occasional hiccup when I connect/disconnect an external Firewire hard drive during disc burning, so I don't do that any more... </p>

<blockquote>

<p>"CDs should be written in ISO 9660 format. It's an international standard, readable by all computers."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Which is exactly <a href="http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/cd_dvd_data_burn_tiger.html">what the Finder does…</a> <br>

By the way that applies to both CDs <strong>and</strong> DVDs as long as we're talking about plain data discs.</p>

<p>From iPhoto, choose the photos you want to burn, and then Export them to the desktop into a folder, and burn that on to a CD. Don't burn directly from iPhoto.</p>

<p>OSX has had the ability to burn CDs from the desktop that are compatible with PCs since version 10.2, and that was way back in 2003.</p>

<p>When you select the photo's (JPEG'S I assume) don't transfer them in a folder. Select All of the photo's in the folder (not the folder and it's contents), Copy, then go to File>burn to disc. You have to have a blank disc inserted in your iMac first of course. I do this all the time with no compatablility issues. Both OS's will read JPEG'S, no problem.</p>

<p>When you select the photo's (JPEG'S I assume) don't transfer them in a folder. Select All of the photo's in the folder (not the folder and it's contents), Copy, then go to File>burn to disc. You have to have a blank disc inserted in your iMac first of course. I do this all the time with no compatablility issues. Both OS's will read JPEG'S, no problem.</p>

<p>There's a really simple way that lets you name your disk and track your files at the same time. In the Finder, go to File -> New Burn Folder. This creates a special folder on the desktop (or whatever folder is active) that you can name. Then you drop the files you want to burn into it. They don't actually move to the Burn Folder, they just get linked. You right click (option click) on the folder and say Burn to Disk, it will prompt you to put in a disk and then give you a screen that lets you start burning. The Burn Folder can be saved (it takes a few k, I think) as a record of what you burned. You can also re-burn if you need to. This is a much simpler way than selecting items, especially if you have to take some out because you are over disk capacity.</p>