Making final prints perfect

samdiblin

Hello, I am new to 35mm photography. I enrolled in a class at my university and enjoy the class throughly but there is a few things the frustrate me about making final prints. To begin with, how can I assure that the easel is perfectly square? Is there any particular measurements that look best on 8x10 sheets of film paper? Is there any rule of thumb with what aperture and how much time to expose the film sheet? Additionally, how do I burn the borders in?

If you have any other tips or suggestions on how to make final prints perfect please let me know!

Any help would be appreciated greatly!

I'm quite new also to this process also, but in regard to squaring the easel to the image, you should see this effect clearly, and adjust accordingly, while focusing through the enlarger. There's no particular shape or size that's 'best', it's as the operator wants. One can raise or lower the enlarger head to center, highlight, or crop a portion of the image.

Aperture and exposure time is entirely dependent on the negative, not as a guide but only an example, when I have a correctly exposed negative, often I find 12 seconds at F5.6 works well, but there are so many variables working. Using test strips will help you determine these settings.

Why do I say things...

Hello, I am new to 35mm photography. I enrolled in a class at my university and enjoy the class throughly but there is a few things the frustrate me about making final prints. To begin with, how can I assure that the easel is perfectly square? Is there any particular measurements that look best on 8x10 sheets of film paper? Is there any rule of thumb with what aperture and how much time to expose the film sheet? Additionally, how do I burn the borders in?

If you have any other tips or suggestions on how to make final prints perfect please let me know!

Any help would be appreciated greatly!

You are taking a class, at a college.....why don't you ask your teacher these questions.? That is why you are enrolled in the class.

His/Her answers will be much more meaningful than what you get in text, from a forum.

The instructor will be able to explain and show you in person.

• Like 2

simple line levels are cheap and will show if the enlarger and the base board are level.

here is a method for copying that can be adapted to enlargers, etc.

mirror-to-square-copying-1985-05-MP.thumb.jpg.0b4bb6e5725facc3d56a40af2b79f3e2.jpg

1985-05-Modern Photography

AND (sorry) from Bank Dick IMDB

Og Oggilby: Oh... I knew this would happen! I was a perfect idiot to ever listen to you!

Egbert Sousé: You listen to me, Og! There's nothing in this world that is perfect.

Edited by JDMvW

I'm quite new also to this process also, but in regard to squaring the easel to the image, you should see this effect clearly, and adjust accordingly, while focusing through the enlarger. There's no particular shape or size that's 'best', it's as the operator wants. One can raise or lower the enlarger head to center, highlight, or crop a portion of the image.

Aperture and exposure time is entirely dependent on the negative, not as a guide but only an example, when I have a correctly exposed negative, often I find 12 seconds at F5.6 works well, but there are so many variables working. Using test strips will help you determine these settings.

thank you!

You are taking a class, at a college.....why don't you ask your teacher these questions.? That is why you are enrolled in the class.

His/Her answers will be much more meaningful than what you get in text, from a forum.

The instructor will be able to explain and show you in person.

It's apart of a project. We needed to get assistance from the pro's on this forum

simple line levels are cheap and will show if the enlarger and the base board are level.

here is a method for copying that can be adapted to enlargers, etc.

[ATTACH=full]1316367[/ATTACH]

1985-05-Modern Photography

AND (sorry) from Bank Dick IMDB

thank you