making film holder for Perfection V600 scanner

kaugu_ciems

<p>I’ve bought Epson Perfection V600 scanner from ebay from seller who ‘conveniently forgot’ to mention that all film holders are missing. Frankly, auction price was so low I don’t want to return scanner back to seller.<br>

However, I am shooting 120 film with makeshift 6x17cm camera, so it looks like I need ‘Brownie’ film holder. Also, I’ve got very limited budget.<br>

Question to this scanner users: since I am planning to make a film holder myself either from paper/carton/black PVC: do I need to respect distance from film surface to scanner's glass or just make it as near as possible and perfectly parallel to the scanner's glass?<br>

Will V600 auto-focus or will it expect to find film surface at certain <strong>fixed</strong> distance? <strong>What this distance is?</strong><br>

I am sure I can achieve it by adding layers of paper to holder's frame thickness… or am I living in illusions?<br>

Thank you</p>

<p>thank you, Peter.<br>

article say "To scan, place the holder onto the scanner resting on the cardboard legs". So, can I ask what is the thickness of the legs and what is the thickness of the glass, so I can understand what is distance from scanner's glass to the film?<br>

or you did not care because you user not-V600 scanner that can auto-focus?</p>

<p>KC: The thickness of the glass doesn't really matter beceause you will be scanning through the acetate and not the glass. The thickness of the cardboard is not known beceuse more/less are added until a good focus has been reached. It can be anywhere between 1-3mm.</p>

<p>I'm sorry if that note was a little unclear. I wrote it a few years ago.</p>

<p>paul. The link you provided does <strong>not</strong> show the correct holders. There is no 120 film holder. I cannot tell from the picture that the holders in the picture are correct for 35mm. Kaugu, you should use the link I posted above and call the supplier to verify the parts I mentioned on my post above.</p>

<p>'he' googled it and found :-)<br>

<br /> part ID:<strong> 1516326</strong> - Holder Assembly, Brownie for the Epson Perfection <strong>V600</strong> Photo Scanner<br>

<br /> just what I need for my odd 120-type with 6x18cm custom format<br /> thanks everyone for guidance!</p>

<p>I agree with the others. Just buy them from Epson instead of going through the trouble to make your own. They're cheap enough to get. I was surprised when I had to replace my wet mounting unit that disintegrated from the chemicals (found out it's very, very similar to camping lamp fluid...in fact it's probably the same) and also a slide mount unit that broke.<br>

Just go to one of these recommended sites and buy them: http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supAdvice.jsp?UseCookie=yes&type=highlights&noteoid=153590</p>

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

<p>I've tried scanning directly on the glass but the negative curl was pretty bad so I tried a glass to flatten it and got good results and that worked except for the newton rings it produced. Someone mentioned raising the film around the thickness of a nickel. That worked ok but a pain making and using a mask so I bought a negative carrier from Epson. <vbgrin> Worth it eh ? Anti Newton glass is hard to find and expensive but should work just fine to flatten negatives. I did not see any bluriness when I scanned with the anti newton glass . The only problem was the newton rings. I'm still looking for a way to make a film holder better than Epson and I'm getting close.<br>

Bill</p>