Make black-and-white slide from b/w negative though copy?

<p>For years I've been shooting medium format negative film and only occasionally a few slide films. Now that I have bought a medium format slide projector, I would like to take more slide film but also would like to project some black-and-white pictures that were taken on black-and-white negative film.</p>

<p>So what would be the easiest way to create a b/w slide out of the b/w negatives? Would it suffice to just copy the negative onto another negative (using a macro setup and background flash?).</p>

<p>If so, what would be the best type fo film for this? TMX would probably not be too good, sind the slides would project pink-ish (never had any luck fully getting rid of the pink residue) but would a film like Delta 100 work? I mean, it's plenty sharp and probably contrasty enough to make a decent copy?</p>

<p>Does anyone have experience with such set up?</p>

<p>(Note: this is not a how-to-take-b/w-slides post, I know about DR5 although I've not tried it - yet)</p>

<p>I used to do that with Kodak Lithographic film, available in sheet form. You can contact print or use an enlarger. Litho film is intended for high contrast images, used in conjunction with special developer, but I found pretty decent results using regular developer. I don't recollect if I used paper developer, or film developer (say Kodak's HC110), you could try HC110 for starters.</p>

<p >Your best bet is to place the negatives on an illuminated glass and copy them using your camera, with macro or close-up lens, loaded with your favorite black-and-white negative film. You can make the necessary illuminator by going to a glass store and ask for milk glass. Using cellophane tape you lock down the negative or hold it flat with a piece of larger glass. </p>

<p >An alternative: I often did this using a 35mm SLR. I load it with my favorite black-and-white negative film. With the lens removed and using a cable release set it's focal plane shutter on T (open). Place the camera on the baseboard of an enlarger. Load your target negative in the negative carrier and compose and focus on the film's surface in the camera. It's on T because you can't see to compose on the flat black shutter but open, you can project and see what you are doing on the emulsion's surface of the loaded film. </p>

<p >Now set the SLR to 1/500 second and stop down the enlarger to f/16. Carful not to move the camera try several shots at different exposure times. Process and by trail and error you will get the right exposure time. This worked for me countless times. </p>

<p>If you are going to project the image to be copied. It is best done on a special 'Back projection material'. this is a special translucent plastic sheeting that can be purchased, I'm sorry I cant give you a supplier, this avoids distortion if you try and photograph from the projected side, and a 'hot spot' if you photograph from the rear using ordinary plastic sheet or tracing paper type materials. I used to do this to create 35mm pictures from slides. If there are any members involved in the film industry, they might be able to give more detailed information.</p>