Major bug in Elements 2018

This is a major bug in my opinion, but Adobe Tech Support says the program was designed to work this way. It may be in other versions of Elements as well; I don't know.

Here's the issue: you open a RAW image and start adjusting it; you unintentionally (or intentionally) click the DONE button. Oops; your original RAW file gets overwritten with the modified version and your original is gone forever. Nice!

Shouldn't one of the top priorities be to safeguard the original RAW file? Shouldn't you, as a bare minimum, first get a warning like "are you sure you want to do this", although that's not enough safeguarding in my book.

When I asked to report this as a bug, I got redirected to a feature/bug form that misdirected me to the Adobe Conversations (forum).

What say you?

I do not have Photoshop Elements, but I assume Elements works about the same way either Photoshop does, or using a catalog Lightroom does. Editing RAW files in Adobe Camera RAW (ACR) is nondestructive i.e. no pixels are changed; the editing instructions are recorded and reapplied each time you open the file in ACR. By the way ACR is used to process RAW file in Photoshop and a close equivalent is used in Lightroom.

1) Using sidecars, all the RAW processing instructions (and other data) are written to a sidecar file in the same directory as the RAW file. The sidecar has the same name as the image and a file type of XMP. Simply rename the sidecar file to filename.XMP1; Photoshop will no longer recognize the file as a sidecar and will display your original file, unmodified.

2) If you use the catalog, in Adobe Camera RAW, there should be a "Reset" button. Push that and the editing instructions are deleted. But there is no way to get back other than redo the edit. In Photoshop CS5 (ACR 6.7) there is no Reset Key; you Alt-Click the Cancel Key to reset the dialog

3) If you use ACR there should be a History panel. Simply step back to the history item that says "import" or something like it.

One (or more) of the above should work.

• Like 1

1) Using sidecars, all the RAW processing instructions (and other data) are written to a sidecar file in the same directory as the RAW file. The sidecar has the same name as the image and a file type of XMP. Simply rename the sidecar file to filename.XMP1; Photoshop will no longer recognize the file as a sidecar and will display your original file, unmodified.

2) If you use the catalog, in Adobe Camera RAW, there should be a "Reset" button. Push that and the editing instructions are deleted. But there is no way to get back other than redo the edit. In Photoshop CS5 (ACR 6.7) there is no Reset Key; you Alt-Click the Cancel Key to reset the dialog

3) If you use ACR there should be a History panel. Simply step back to the history item that says "import" or something like it.

1. I haven't used sidecars.

2. I use the database (which is not the catalog); there is no reset button in my version of ACR, 10.2. The issue is not undoing edits in ACR; you can easily do that (e.g. with the before/after button). The issue is that as soon as you click on the Done button, the original file seems to be overwritten and now has the changes made in ACR and ACR is automatically closed.

3. As soon as you click on the Done button, ACR closes and the file is gone. There is nothing to see in the History panel after that.

These are not previews; these are jpg versions of DNG RAW files.

You ever answered the question about the NEF! JPEG is rendered from the raw you refuse to examine. It is READ ONLY.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

Major bug in Elements 2018

Look for sidecar 'xmp' files. That's where the recipe is stored. Delete it. Never heard of a program that alters RAW files. Most every photographer trying to use it would raise hell if that happened and there would be tracks all over the net.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

I examined both the before and after NEF and DNG RAW files in ACR. So, tell me what I'm doing wrong in your opinion and we can go from there

You examined what? There is no before and after NEF. There is one file that is READ ONLY!

ACR has no database.

ACR has cache files.

Your edits are stored in sidecar files for proprietary raws.

Respectfully, not so.

ACR (at least in Photoshop CS5) gives the user a choice, in Preferences, of storing the image settings either in XMP files or in a "database" as the following screen shots show. Now the database may be saved in cache files, but the program definitely says "database".

XMP_DB.jpg.d1920e56cbefccf18fb0a75c0411f082.jpg

• Like 1

2. I use the database (which is not the catalog); there is no reset button in my version of ACR, 10.2. The issue is not undoing edits in ACR; you can easily do that (e.g. with the before/after button). The issue is that as soon as you click on the Done button, the original file seems to be overwritten and now has the changes made in ACR and ACR is automatically closed.

3. As soon as you click on the Done button, ACR closes and the file is gone. There is nothing to see in the History panel after that.

Do not click on DONE. Hold down the Alt key on your keyboard and click CANCEL That should do it. How do I know? In CS5 when I hover the mouse pointer above CANCEL, it opens a hint box and tells me. Try it.

In my original reply I should have written DATABASE, not CATALOG. I guess I'm just use to Lightroom for RAW processing.

No, the original image file is NOT overwritten, the changes you made in ACR are written to the database (unless you are using DNG files, but that is a different story).

• Like 1