Maine - York, Kittery

victor_ho2

So it's spring in Maine. If you're close enough, go to York and follow the road

to Kittery. Cross over the bridge to Portsmouth, New Hampshire. The area's full

of picture opportunity. York is in bloom with forsythia, dandelions, cherry

blossoms, daffodils and so forth. Exploring the road brings you to small fishing

harbors with lobster boats. Houses are offset by blooming bushes and daffodils.

The lighthouses beckon - Portsmouth Harbor lighthouse, Cape Neddick light. There

is much seasonal color that allows for exceptional shots.

Or go north to Portland and take a trip on the Casco Bay ferry system. Get off on one of the islands, walk around for a few hours and catch a later boat back to Portland. Also some abandoned coast artillery fortifications. One on Peaks Island, one on Great Diamond (private now) and one at Odiorne Point state park, just south of Portsmouth, NH.

I've seen the forts and the ferry but didn't put it together. It's on my list to check.

In Portland today the cherry blossoms have peaked and the winds have blown most of the petals to the ground. The other - forsythia, daffodils, and rhododendrons are still brilliant. Also the waters raging in the rivers have subsided after the last big rain.

I'm told an old revolutionary war ship wreck is now exposed on the 'short sands' beach near to the Neddick light 'long sands.' This wreck was uncovered in the recent beach erosion from the wicked Nor'easter. Then the sands cover it again until the next big storm comes along. It's a rumor so far. I am trying to check this one out.