Mail forwarding seems not to work

johncrosley

I sent a test message to myself about a half hour ago. My service has a bulk mail

folder and as of now it has not shown up there or in my regular mail, and I don't

appear to have any other PN forwarded e-mail in my mailbox.

Is this a problem, Jin or am I missing something?

(I saw the previous inquiry in 'site feedback forum) but it appeared resolved.)

Thanks.

John (Crosley)

I have multiple @photo.net addresses that receive thousands of messages a week (not counting spam), all working fine. And before someone thinks that I am sitting in some office right next to the server using a fancy network connection, let me correct them. I live 3000 miles away and my @photo.net addresses forward to normal gmail account. No different than any other user.

However, I did receive one other complaint recently of some @photo.net email issues. So I'll ask Jin to see what he can find out.

The logs show that there was a successful delivery at 7:05pm to your account. A second message sent at 7:30 was deferred by your email provider until about 8:25. A "deferral" means they think maybe we're trying to spam you, and is a notice telling us to try again later, which we do. There's not much we can do about this "greylisting" with large email providers. Because of the volume of mail we send (response notifications and what not), our service has some of the signatures of a spammer. It should eventually get through, unless we actually get blacklisted, in which case we will do whatever we can to get off the blacklist.

Well, Jin thank you for the helpful response. I was unaware of 'greylisting' by my mail provider, as their 'bulk' mail always seems to go through, and judging from its poor quality, it seems EVERYTHING goes through.

I have signed up for more alerts by Photo.net so that means the Photo.net traffic to me has increased greatly.

And of course, I cannot know what is the experience of other PNers, and my intent is only to make a notification in good faith not only for myself but for other PN members in case your equipment was not functioning properly,, and I hardly expected Josh to be involved at all as I know he is a new father and was not expected even to be attending to PN duties (so sorry Josh for causing work for you).

I had noticed some significant delays in my e-mail service for Photo.net mail forwarding, and some of it seemed a week or so ago to be of the nature of 'we're notifying you of delivery attempts' and your e-mail is now 24 hours late or 48 hours late.

I'll take a closer look at such notifications as invariably they seem genuine as they copied parts of my original e-mail and not just headers and occurred while other, sooner e-mail seemed to be getting through. It caused me some consternation. I'll take a closer look when I get time, and see if I can figure out such notifications from a week or so ago.

I'll try to work this one through, as I deal with one of the world's largest e-mail providers; if they were to blacklist or grey-list Photo.net mail from my e-mail box that would be a disaster -- I depend on it, and I am very thankful for this membership service.

I do not think my e-mail provider does have a 'blacklist' however, and since they are within driving distance of me now, I might take the issue to their executive suite personally if it were to happen. Sometimes miracles happen when one makes an appointment and talks things over personally with a high exec after buttonholing that exec's 'exec assistant' -- who knows? It has worked in the past in Silicon Valley.

It certainly can get their ear - and certainly tens of thousands of PN users also use that service as their e-mail delivery service, so it might be worth a shot if there is a continued problems. Give me a shout if that is so, and I might be able to do a personal 'workaround'.

Thanks for the lookup Jin. This was meant to be a notification only, in case this was not a personal issue, and was a common 'issue'.

John (Crosley)

Email forwarding never worked for me, although photo.net alerts seems like coming through just fine. I already mentioned email forwarding in this thread, I sent few emails to myself and never got any back,

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00Pd9j

The spam folder is also empty.

When I have time (maybe tonight) I will change my forwarding address and see if it makes difference. I can live without it but I must admit @photo.net email (especially when about photography) is (would be) a nice feature to have.

- Sergey

I have a somewhat similar problem. When someone goes to my PhotoNet home page, or from the Classified Forum, and tries to send me email by clicking on the "Send Walt Tatulinski email" link, the message fails and they get a bounceback message saying that a 553 Attack has been detected and that the message has been blocked. My email is being handled by GoDaddy's email.secureserver.net and that the bounceback messages make reference to something called unblock.secureserver.net. Is GoDaddy treating PhotoNet like a spam site and blocking it? Here is part of the message they get:<br><br>

host smtp.where.secureserver.net [208.109.80.149]:

553 Attack detected. unblock.secureserver.net/?ip=206.83.79.133