In case you haven't heard of them before: MagMod

I'm curious to hear about any real-world use of this product. They have a fancy website, YouTube channel and a bunch of sponsored ambassadors all singing their praises - but I've seen very little from everyday photographers.

I enjoy the mobility of speedlights and having a consistent system like MagMod seems ideal. However, it's expensive. Just wondering if anyone actually uses this stuff and what your opinions are.

I almost stopped reading their hype at the word "Awesome".

Nothing very new there. A similar system was introduced - and failed to take off - a few years ago.

The stark truth is that no diffuser less than about 300mm square is going to noticeably soften the light from a speedlight. So, 'portable softbox' is pretty much an oxymoron.

• Like 1

Welcome.

I didn't join to advertise. Just asked a question.

Understood when yours, as an initial post, was approved. I concur the OP is not advertising.

Also assume that it was also only a question which Q.G. de Bakker asked you, nothing more and nothing less: likely based upon him seeing many spamming post made here.

WW

Edited by William Michael
  • Like 1

To elaborate a little on my previous post.

Pitiful little clip-on diffusers barely soften the light from a speedlight at all. You're far better off bouncing the light from a ceiling or wall.

The 24" octabox looks like the only really useful thing that MagMod have to offer.... but the price? That's what's awesome!

That octabox looks heavy and pretty unwieldy if you're expected to handhold it though.

Fresnel spots? How often do you need to frontally light a subject that's over 100 feet away? And what's wrong with just boosting your ISO?

Snoots and grids? Look, if you really need that stuff, you're into studio lighting territory and you ought to be considering studio strobes. Or speedring adapters so that you can fit your speedlights into proper modifiers. Modifiers that don't cost an 'awesome' amount of money.

Like this:

IMG_20180503_144910.jpg.5a9e1ce5894103142f2ba71cbd73a172.jpg

Or this:

Softbox-stand.jpg.07a85970f026a096aa8fa4ea3c3be12a.jpg

• Like 1