macro lens options

tommyfilmist

What are the options for going macro with a D7500?

The lowest cost macro they make the manual controlled aperture, manual focus is only availabe from canada, and you have to pay first and wait at least 5 months before it might get shipped.

The current Nikon production macro lens are expensive, even used is only 20% off.

Ive looked at Sigma macro lenses, but they all seem to be APS-C and im hoping for a full frame format compatible.

Tamron is alot more affordable, but lacks the stabalizer systems... I can toss in a macro extension kit to hook the camera up to my tripod. then id be close if not over the price of a SIgma macro lens.

I was considering a macro bellows, but i would have to use the live view function for getting the shutter and aperture correct, and i cant read the view screen much at all with my sun glasses and my eye condition requires sun glasses outside year round.

As i need to keep the penta prism going, i guess im stuck with a used macro from nikon, or a new one from nikon or tamron or sigma. I dont know if a macro diopter kit is useful or not in comparison to say getting one of the 1: to 5:1 macro lenses at b&h..

I just want optical clarity, a quality image that can be printed on 8x10 photo paper on a hp injet

Edited by tommyfilmist

Let's just start with a basic question.

You've got a crop frame,ie DX body, the D7500. You seem to want a full frame, ie FX lens. why?

You mention 1:1 > 5:1... what do you need? For the latter you're going to need to LV focus, DoF is so thin, focusing is very critical.

I personally don't like diopter lenses, their IQ is usually pretty poor at the edges.

PS. Sigma don't make dedicated DX-only macro lenses.

Tokina had an affordable 100mm, not stabilized though. Macro is a good field, to get into studio lighting with speedlights.

I don't use Nikon but from general experience: Hand holding a 1:1 shot requires spray & pray + luck, since you will shiver into and out of your razor thin DOF. Having a focusing slider on top of your tripod is really nice. For 5:1 it should be geared like a microscope and it is probably time to read up about focus stacking in post processing.

Bellows - You still need a lens in front of them. Do you have a sharp prime to reverse? View camera like movements would probably be nice to have.

I am not much of a macro shooter. In general macro lenses are nice to have as sharp GP primes, especially when their focusing range can be limited, to speed up AF hunting. Extension tubes and bellows are a lot of hassle. And as mentioned: Your shots will turn into time consuming static studio projects.

Most really good macro work is manual focusing using a tripod and often accessory flash or lighting. There are many good macro lenses out there in the older category such as the Lester Dine 105/2.8 Macro (fully manual), the Tamron 90 (IMHO a bit short, but quite sharp), and th eAFD Nikon 105/2.8. Personally for some subjects I also like shorter macros but that's another story. I think the longer focal length lenses are more useful to macro newbies.
  • Like 1

I'd buy a used 55mm f/2.8 Micro Nikkor. They're usually cheap and optically excellent. Some think it's a bit short (I'm not one of them) but it seems perfect for a crop sensor body.

That would be a pragmatic way to get a lot of what OP is asking for: Aperture ring, manual focus, FX coverage, excellent quality and cheap.

Niels

Let's just start with a basic question.

You've got a crop frame,ie DX body, the D7500. You seem to want a full frame, ie FX lens. why?

You mention 1:1 > 5:1... what do you need? For the latter you're going to need to LV focus, DoF is so thin, focusing is very critical.

I personally don't like diopter lenses, their IQ is usually pretty poor at the edges.

PS. Sigma don't make dedicated DX-only macro lenses.

FF frame lenses are not sharper than APS-C lenses unless they cost a lot more (like 3 times more).

I'd buy a used 55mm f/2.8 Micro Nikkor.

to get a lot of what OP is asking for

On the D7500, that lens (and any other without a CPU) won't meter as the camera is lacking the Ai follower tab. Might not be an issue with macro but probably worth mentioning.

but lacks the stabalizer systems

Those are rather ineffective at macro focus distances.

Venus Optics Laowa 100mm f/2.8 2X Ultra Macro APO Lens for Nikon F

Tokina atx-i 100mm f/2.8 FF Macro Lens for Nikon F

the flat field is interesting as the only other macro that talks about that is the 8-900$ one from Nikon

Nikon Micro-NIKKOR 55mm f/2.8 Lens

Originally thought this would be good but i have no clue on the extension ring that is needed to make it 1:1 macro instead of the half size it is from the factory. The close focus correction was what got my attention honestly.

Venus Optics Laowa 25mm f/2.8 2.5-5X Ultra Macro Lens for Nikon F

The magnification is the only thing going for it, as i would like to get massive closeups on say a model plane or diorama

Nikon AF-S DX Micro NIKKOR 40mm f/2.8G Lens

close correction system

IRIX 150mm f/2.8 Macro 1:1 Lens for Nikon F

The tripod collar is a main pull as nothing else has a tripod collar that i can find.

Mitakon Zhongyi 20mm f/2 4.5x Super Macro Lens for Nikon F

Venus Optics Laowa 60mm f/2.8 2X Ultra-Macro Lens for Nikon F-Mount

Im confused on what they are actually offering in terms of actual magnification as it seems to be dependent upon something i cant quite comprehend. In description almost sound like using a macro diopter ring on a prime.

Mitakon Zhongyi Creator 85mm f/2.8 1-5x Super Macro Lens for Nikon F

This has my interest, serious interest but i am not understanding how it actually works but i do under the type of lens correction is has for color fringeing.

I have ignored the other smaller under 80mm macro offerings at B&H, but i need something that is in stock and can be ordered by saturday. I wanted to get going with macro last year but supply chain issues killed that until it was to late to do most of what i wanted to do with it.

I do want the best optical quality and image quality. I have no interest in printing beyond standard production 8x10 photo paper on my printer.

My main issue is that the lens needs to be able to interact with the D7500 software and let me use it through the OVF and have the light metering system working.

I dont care about auto focus

I dont care about stabilizing as i plan on using a tripod with it for macro work, and i can do fine with a non stabilized lens with my film camera. And i do understand how to carry a little lens rest bag in my gear if i need to really go for broke on an image.

I honestly dont care if it is full frame or aps-c lens, but i have the hope to get into using it with my d7500 to scan film negatives. And when i need to replace my D7500 i know ill be replacing it with a FULL FRAME camera, no brand selected.

I use a Tokina macro 100mm f2.8 ATXPro.Quick shift between af and mf with slight push pull movement to select, 1:1, really solid build, the Tokina lenses work well for film and digital. I bought it mint for £200 mainly for my F6, mf for macro and af as a really nice portrait lens. On my old aps-c Nikon it gives me that longer length I like for macro. It is good enough for my work and is such a versatile lens.

OP..

"Tamron is alot more affordable, but lacks the stabalizer systems."

"I don't care about stabilizing as i plan on using a tripod with it for macro work."

Err, make your mind up?

Edit...If you're only printing to 10" x 8", it doesn't matter what you use, that's low res.......!

On the D7500, that lens (and any other without a CPU) won't meter as the camera is lacking the Ai follower tab. Might not be an issue with macro but probably worth mentioning.

Those are rather ineffective at macro focus distances.

Argh, another reason to look for a used D7200 when mine wears out.

• Like 1

Each to their own, but is metering really that important? Trial and error + histogram chimping are what I am usually doing with manual flashes.

i need to use the lens and camera OUTSIDE in something called SUNLIGHT... i need to wear polarized sunglasses outside,, i can use an optical view finder just fine. but NOT use the screen.

and chimping the histogram is not very useful. If you get bored open up your favorite photo software and take a close look at a lossless RAW file and a standard jpeg or even lossless jpeg of same image. i normally find that the histogram shifts right about 20% between the two formats.

I'd be looking for a Nikon 70-180mm f/4.5-5.6 Macro zoom as an alternative. It has quite a bit of range, works with your D7500, but on the cost side, is a bit more expensive that the fixed focal length macros. I also own the Nikon 105mm f/2.8 G AFS, and it's superb. Moose Petersen and Ken Rockwell give high marks to the 70-180, although it does have minimal focus shift as you get closer to the subject. Yes, the AF isn't up to Nikon's latest lenses, and with your D7500 it will probably "hunt" a bit. The 70-180 also uses a 6T magnifying lens for additional magnification. Downside to the 70-180, is that it's very expensive for a used lens.

Just another consideration.

REgarding backward compatibility, I am quite fond of this on the D7100, which meters with manual lenses and even with totally uncoupled lenses. This is nice, since I often use the old preset 35/2.8 PC as my normal lens, and like to play with completely uncoupled home made macros and typesetting lenses in a microscope adapter. But the non-metering D3200 also worked pretty well with those old lenses, once I was used to it. After all, there are not that many possible exposure combinations, and the learning curve for guessing exposure is not all that steep, and the histogram is available if you have the time to use it. The up side of the uncoupled D7500 is that you can safely use any lens with an Nikon F mount, including unconverted pre-AI. Perhaps I'm not as fussy as Tommyfilmist above, but if you're shooting digital raw with a reasonably flexible camera, I don't think exposure precision is as important as it once was, since fine adjustment can be made in post without penalty, and when in doubt you can bracket. Manual lenses usually are detented to full stops, so you'll never get closer to perfection than the 1/3 stop changes in shutter speed.

For much macro work I like the 55/3.5, which is good and sharp, fairly easy to focus fast, and without the extension nice for my favorite macro use, which is chasing insects. For many other things, one could just get a set of extension tubes. Since the D7500 does not meter with any manual lenses anyway, it can use any old extension tubes, even the totally uncoupled ones.

'd be looking for a Nikon 70-180mm f/4.5-5.6 Macro zoom as an alternative. It has quite a bit of range, works with your D7500, but on the cost side, is a bit more expensive that the fixed focal length macros.

Not anymore, prices have come down substantially with excellent copies available in the $700 range. I owned the lens for many years and it had been one of my favorites. One drawback, however, is the short working distance - even at the 180mm setting it is no larger than that of a 105mm lens. It is an excellent lens to be used on a tripod.

• Like 1

[ATTACH=full]1420869[/ATTACH] 1981 Micro-Nikkor AIs 105 on D2X

these two photos you have posted are the range i am hoping to achieve with the lens i am on the hunt for. I had to work today so i didnt get one ordered, but i have narrowed my selection down considerably

nikons own:

afs-dx 40mm

AFS vr 105mm

afs-dx 85

venus optics laowa 100mm f/2.8 2x

Tokina atx-1 100mm

the only ones im NOT finding unpleasent truths about are the nikon family, but they have been discontinuing macro lenses left and right in the left 6 months, and most of what B&H lists as backordered is now "archived product" on the nikon usa page.