Macro Extension Tube Help

jim_chapman1

Jim - I don't know alot about the math and calculations - but I have taken hundreds if not thousands of exposures with the 50 mm AIS lens and the PK 11 & 12 extension tubes. The results are outstanding. The 50 lens is one of the sharpest around. You'll lose your infinity focus and the distance from the film plane to the object will be about 1 foot. With the older lens ( AIS manual focus ) turning the focus ring will vary the magnification ( and also the focus distance). A ringflash handheld gives very nice results. You'll probably need to stop down to f16 & f22. You'll be close to your object. A tripod, cable release and good technique are advised with tripod work. You'll lose matrix metering with the extension tubes. This is a cheap way to get some excellent results. I hope this helps. Rich

total extension = 46.5 mm + tube length + focusing travel (of the lens' helical, measure it) + 3.5 mm. The 3.5 mm is the distance from the lens' rear nodal point to the flange when the lens is focused at infinity.

magnification = (total extension/focal length) - 1.

exposure compensation, in stops, is approximately (m + 1) [you need to know this only if using non-ttl flash]