Mac OS X Lion hands-on preview on Engadget (cough)

<p>Thanks, but until I get new hardware, I'm still running both Jaguar (1st gen G4) and Leopard (late G4 and older Intel).</p>

<p>At some point, obviously, good-enough is good enough.<br /> There were times when an OS upgrade made huge differences. Now, I'm not so sure, for what I do.</p>

<p>Mind I go back to CMS and card decks on IBM mainframes.</p>

<p>(Old man shouts at sky)</p>

<p>Yes, sorry about the off-topic here, but anyhow,<br /> I remember talking to some IBM reps at their office in St. Louis when looking at their workstations for my department, and when I sort of suggested that the "conversational monitoring system" was a little, well, clunky, they looked like I had just poohed on their keyboard. User friendly? You couldn't beat CMS in their eyes. [Honestly, it did beat JCL and a card deck.] :)<br /> I honestly had forgot REXX, sure sign of age's wingéd chariot beating near, I guess.<br /> The new Mac system does look, well, Macish (see, I'm trying to get back on topic).</p>

<p>Actually the discussion following at Garrison's link above, pretty well replicates what may yet happen here.</p>

<p>My Tiger OS driven 2004 G5 iMac's processor just jumped from 140ºF to 165ºF going to that "engadget" link and couldn't finish downloading whatever the hell it was trying to download into Safari.</p>

<p>Engadget elitist bastards! What is so damn important to download into my browser cache that I can't see show up in a simple web page?!</p>

<p>Didn't bother to read it.</p>

<p>It is their fault because other sites don't do that to my processor regardless if it's Mac or PC centric.</p>

<p>I'm beginning to think it's intentional in an attempt to wear out my processor so I'll have to buy a new computer. Wait a minute I have to adjust my tin foil hat. I think I'm getting radio free Europe. </p>

<p>If any website is going to run a ton of invisible scripts, flash, or java laden code on a simple discussion thread behind the scenes then I want to see something interesting load on that page even if it's a dog and pony show. At least load that YouTube video of that cat playing a piano or something.</p>

<p>I now judge the validity of websites using my CPU temp readout. Most sites that do this to my processor waiting forever to load their content don't have much to say anyway. I just do a quick Command "W" and put a stop to that crap.</p>

<p>Not tooting my horn about Macs, but damn, how the heck do they make a computer that can last this long. </p>

<p>I don't know, Tim. I could care less if my car revs between 2000rpm and 5000rpm when I'm driving. I just drive. And my beater Dell laptop circa 2005 and even my smartphone loads Engadget just fine.</p>

<p>I wouldn't be surprised, but I think Lion is the stepping stone OS to iPad3, to have a full blown OS on the iPad3?</p>

<p>Maybe someone would like a 5-year old Mac G5 with 4.5 GBytes memory, 2 HD's and OS-X 10.5.8? I replaced it in December and haven't cleaned it to recycle back to Apple. I'm not looking forward to OS-X 10.7 (Lion), because I don't like the GUI on my iPad and don't want to see it my Mac Pro. I'll upgrade it if I can keep the same look and feel as I have now.</p>