M9 - why is there a motor ?

didier

I had the opportunity some time ago to shoot a few pics with the M9 (at a dealer's).

My first move towards Leica in a digital world...

I liked the moment, apart from one thing : it is much louder than my film Ms.

(battery dependency is not mentioned here)

Why did they put a motor in the thing ? Couldn't they have gone on with an advance lever ? Or?

What do you think ?

Didier

<p>Why not? The motor-advance was integrated without any increase in the size of the body - and the camera needs a battery for the sensor anyway.</p>

<p>Although not as discrete as that of a film-M, the M8/9 shutter (even with the motor) is quiet enough.</p>

When you come to a fork in the road, take it ...

– Yogi Berra

<p>If further minaturization of the electronics technology and it's subsequent costs were feasible, I would welcome the addition of an optional manual setting. (Motor off) Wishfully utilizing a simple M3/MP wind lever.<br /> Not only for the discrete issue, but also out of a technical concern for the <strong>always </strong>(tightly) wound shutter.</p>

<p>This may be a controversial view in light of the claimed shutter cycle-life. But, it doesn't change the fact that the current cameras always get their shutter's stored fully charged; which logically, shortens <strong>in some way</strong> the cycle count...</p>

<p><em>Hint: If storing your Leica M8, M8.2 or M9 for an <strong>extended period of time</strong>; fire off your your shutter in discreet mode. Then while still holding down the shutter release, pop out the battery. </em></p>

<p>"Probably because Epson/Voigtlander got so much crap for having a manual advance on the digital RD1."<br>

You know, I remember people saying that they liked the manual shutter cocking because it gave a certain rhythm to the photography (or something like that). Maybe Leica just thought it was too corny for a $7000 camera.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>This may be a controversial view in light of the claimed shutter cycle-life. But, it doesn't change the fact that the current cameras always get their shutter's stored fully charged; which logically, shortens <strong>in some way</strong> the cycle count...</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I don't have any insider knowledge on the shutter's design, but what you say is not necessarily true. You are assuming that the shutter is not under any tension after released. It could very well have tension on it at it's rest state, cocked and uncocked. In fact, it most likely does have tension in both states.</p>

<p>Tim, that's why I mentioned the word "controversial"<br>

Of course they all (including leaf shutters) have tension at "rest".</p>

<p>But to my point: When adjusting horizontal or vertical traveling shutters, just an incremental click or two <strong>dramatically</strong> alters the curtain tensions. But when a camera is wound, those tensions <strong>skyrocket !</strong></p>

<p>I've stated the difference before; tight mainsprings show their <strong>fatigue</strong> when they've been extracted and then compared with the new replacement. </p>

<blockquote>

<h2>Sherry Kräuter's response to a query on this subject was:</h2>

<h2>"Camera should always be put away uncocked. All the mechanisms are at maximum tension cocked. It is simple logic."</h2>

</blockquote>

<p>I also concur...</p>

<p>Because..<br>

a motor plus a manual mechanism just wouldn't fit in<br>

this would cost a lot more to produce with little added usefulness<br>

the non-Leica shutter was designed for electro-motor actuation in the first place, etc. pp.</p>

<p>Obvious, really, isn't it?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"If further minaturization of the electronics <a id="itxthook0" rel="nofollow" href="../leica-rangefinders-forum/00Y81p?start=0">technology</a> and it's subsequent costs were feasible"</p>

</blockquote>

<p>PC B, it really doesn't matter that it's a vertical traveling metal shutter block employed in the M8,8.2 or 9.<br>

If anything it makes it easier to design a new manual <strong>"charge" lever:</strong></p>

<ol>

<li>It only takes a short 8mm throw to charge these new shutters. </li>

<li>No "film" take-up spool space cavity or the gearing to drive the spool.</li>

<li>No lower or upper actuation for rewind reset.</li>

<li>No barrel roll mechanism/gearing to charge the long throw horizontal shutter types.</li>

<li>No mechanical counter or multi exposure mechanism.</li>

<li>This is a big one; no "longevity precision" with high torque reenforcement is needed to support the above systems.</li>

</ol>

<p>The <strong>new "charge" lever,</strong> simply needs to have an 8mm throw at the end of it's action, along with an added mechanical multi advance prevention device. (Low torque & tiny)</p>

<blockquote>

<p>PC B Stated "Obvious, really, isn't it?" <strong>Well I state an emphatic, NO it isn't !</strong></p>

</blockquote>