M9 sensor issue ...?

<p>Hello. Well, I just got my first digital Leica -- a used M9 -- and shot about 150 images with it over the Memorial Day weekend. I was very disappointed to see some "scratches" in my images when I got home so I devised some tests and I'd like your opinion before I approach the seller (a Leica dealer on eBay).</p>

<p>I shot a relatively consistant background to highlight the issue. As the holiday pictures seemed worse at small apertures, I shot some images wide open and some completely stopped down and at several focal lengths.</p>

<p>There were no filters on the lenses and the front and rear elements were clean.</p>

<p>Is this a scratched sensor?</p>

<div>00bgPT-539365584.jpg.b5c5b4d98d2987e760ebbca07e19e0e8.jpg</div>

<p>Bear in mind the stopped down images had a several second exposure so those lines you see cannot be on the object photographed as I hand-held the camera. The 135 Elmarit was 8s exposure. Noise reduction was enabled and the ISO was fixed at 160.</p>

<p>Thoughts? Thanks.</p>

<p>It only appears to show up when heavily stopped down, so I'm betting on dust/hair. I think a scratched sensor would probably be more evident with the diaphragm wider open as well. You mentioned your real life shots had the same artifact...can you show a couple of them along with the shooting aperture.</p>

<p>Scratches or hairs will both be in the same plane and will be affected equally by diaphragm opening. The marks are lines, they stay in the same place from one photo to another, and all run in the same direction. It does seem that they are the result of wiping pressure on the sensor.</p>

<p>It's been heavily reported on the Net; <strong>Cracked sensor</strong>.<br /> (Either the <strong>layering of the IR filter</strong> developing cracks, or sensor<strong> mounting pressure</strong> irregularities)<br /> <strong>OR</strong> it could be: "The extreme sharpness of the lenses cracking the sensor like a soprano shattering a wineglass..."</p>

<p>Send back to seller or ship to Leica factory service for a "<em>goodwill</em>" replacement.</p>

I don't know why the shots made at wider apertures wouldn't show these cracks as well, though. I know that dust spots show up at both extremes, and, as Mukul points out, the lens aperture/focus wouldn't seem to matter. (I'm not sure about any of that, though!)

Backups? We don’t need no stinking ba #.’  _ ,    J

<p>I would think these are scratches from a ill-advised/botched cleaning attempt or aforementioned cracks. If you have access to it, get one one these magnifying things with an LED light and see what the sensor looks like. I bet then it will be pretty apparent what it is. You could use a magnifying glass but I would be careful with placing the light source...</p>

<p>And I hope you have some option of sending it back to the seller!</p>

<p>Hello -- I did some more checking and the scratches are clearly visible when light at an oblique (?) angle hits the sensor. We have one Leica dealer in town and they said that the sensor (or the IR filter) has scratches on it. Gus may have nailed it, in terms of the reason for the problem. (I didn't know about those issues, Gus -- thanks!)</p>

<p>Since I just got the camera, I'm choosing to return it. I don't want to screw around with it -- I'd rather have a perfectly functioning camera for the amount of money I paid!</p>

<p>Thanks everyone (esp Gus!)</p>

• 3 weeks later...

<p>If you're curious how this turned out, I mailed the camera back. The seller confirmed the scratches were present and he replaced it with a black paint body (not originally what I wanted but I think it will look better as it ages). I'm giving the "new" (used) M9 a whirl now and through the weekend. </p>

<p>Sure is weird chimping on the back of a M body.</p>

<p>Thanks James for the advise. Yes, I negotiated an extra battery -- a genuine Leica one -- with the seller. Per your observation, I too had noticed quite a loss of battery power of the course of a single afternoon. In my Leicas, I'm used to a battery lasting a year or longer, not an afternoon!</p>