M80 firmware update

robin_sibson1

My M80 came with firmware 02.05.03 in July 2007. I have just discovered that there is an upgrade to 02.06.03 on the

Canon Japan website at

cweb.canon.jp/drv-upd/digitalcamera/firm-m80-263-1.html

which has apparently been there since December 2007. The information appears to be available only in Japanese, and the

only non-Japanese reference turned up by Google is a comment (in German) on a German website that the poster had

installed it successfully. I have now installed it successfully myself. It is claimed to improve display speed and, in particular,

scaling, and those claims appear to be justified.

The installation procedure (Windows) is as follows.

Download the file m80v263.exe - it is pretty easy to work out how to do this, even if, like me, you know no Japanese.

Run the file to produce a text file of instructions (in Japanese) and the file UPD020603.FIR.

Copy the .FIR file to the root directory of a freshly formatted card. I used my 1GB standard-speed Lexar CF formatted FAT,

which seems to be a very safe choice for firmware upgrades. Make sure there is a fully-charged battery in the M80. Insert

the card into the M80 (not sure if it matters whether you do this before or after switching on, probably not).

Navigate to the Firmware tab. Press the SET button. Normally this does nothing, but if there is a firmware upgrade file on

the card, it finds it and starts a self-explanatory dialogue (relax, it's in your chosen language!). Follow the instructions, and

as with camera firmware upgrades don't touch anything once the upgrade is in progress. It takes several minutes (the .FIR

file is nearly 50MB) and progress is not shown smoothly, so don't panic if it sits at 50% for a while.

Enjoy!

That is, if there's anyone else out there using an M80. Anyone ...? Anywhere ...?

• 4 weeks later...

I ended up getting one from Japan for $500 USD ... after finally figuring out how to change the language to

English it works great ...

one question about the firmware update, can you email me the .FIR as i am on mac and can't run the .EXE file?

• 9 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...

<p>Really nice report! But unfortunately I have exactly the same problem as the last writer. I downloaded the firmware file and did just the same as Robin described. But right after my M80 won't boot enymore. Well at least the Canon Logo is viewable which means the display is fine. Harddisk is also running but that's it!</p>

<p>Hope anybody could help somehow!</p>

<p>Cheers,<br>

Mario</p>

<p>

<p>hi mario, i already fixed my m30, i take it to the canon repair center, it cost me around 50 US$ just to pay for my curiosity, actually canon m30/m80 had a recovery menu but only canon people can access it, if you press the power on, press the set button and menu button together for a few seconds until the blue print led went off.. it will pop up the administrator password box.. that's why i'm paying for 50US$ for... anyway you also can do the same action by pressing the set button and delete button together, it will pop up another menu for testing your hardware, well that what i'm showing to the canon repair center, showing that basicly i have a 100% perfect hardware condition but it have no soul... ^_^ however i didn't have any luck finding my cure in the internet so that i have to bring it to the canon repair center, so please if you find any... please do share it with me... ^_^ if you have any further question about the problem you can send me email to m00nl00k@yahoo.com or add me so we can chat @ yahoo messengger, godd luck! ^_^</p>

</p>

• 4 months later...

<p>Hi Robin,<br>

Although there are very small netbooks and stuff like iPads available today, I still like my M80 for its ruggedness and small size and weight. So I just followed your firmware upgrade instructions now (it's hanging at 50% as I type). I have also opened a support call with Canon, enquiring about the possibility to change my M80's HDD. Wouldn't it be great to have something like a 160GB solid state disk in there?<br>

Will update this once I receive a reply from Canon.<br>

Brgds, Patrick</p>

<p>...ok, Canon Switzerland returned my call. The M80 runs on a 1.8" HDD which can be replaced by Canon Service. I asked whether it could be replaced with a SSD (Samsung, for example are offering 1.8" 128GB SSDs), but I could feel the blank stare through the phone. Will head down to Canon Service one of these days and try to get hold of a technician there. Update to follow.</p>

• 1 year later...