M8 sensor cleaning

The M8 sensor isn't immune to dust, so has to be cleaned. I bought the <A HREF-"http://

www.delkin.com/products/sensorscope/">Delkin Sensor Scope</A>, and it works well. It comes with an

illuminated magnifier for inspecting the sensor before and after, a small vac for removing the big bits,

some swabs and a bottle of fluid. <p>Pricey - and I feel confident someone will have devised a way of

doing it better with an inverted 50 Summicron and a torch - but M8 owners need proper gadgets.

The Visible Dust Sensor Brush works very well, without any fluids or excessive pressure on the sensor. I had been using the Copperhill method, with Eclipse Fluid (methanol) and PEC pads (non-woven, lint free). The Sensor brush is charged with static using canned air or an electric device that spins the brush rapidly in air to the same end. It works like a charm.

You can see particles down to about 2 microns with a strong side light, without a magnifier. If you can't see 'em that way, they're not going to be a problem, most of the time. The most sensitive and practical way to see dust is to shoot at the open sky at f/22 and examine the image.