M7 close focus problem

Hi All.

I'm rying to figure this out.

On the 3 M7's I have owened and used.

When my 50 Summilux ( current version) is used.

The lens will focus close to about .6 meters but the rangefinder

stops sooner. It stops focusing at the f11mark on the lens but

the lens keeps turning till the f16 mark.

I have tested my 3 M6's & an M4 and they all focus fine to the

minimum distance.

Anyone else notice this?

Thanks all.

Stephen

ssherman@shermanphoto.com

http://www.shermanphoto.com

Yes I do. When my M6TTL came back from Solms (the meter had broken down), I also noticed that the RF decoupled just below 0.7m with my Summicrons 50mm and 35mm. First I thought the RF adjustment might have went out of adjustment maybe during the transportation back from Solms, and tested everything carefully. I also asked the experts here at the Leica Forum (you might still find this old thread in the archives) and learned, that it can be quite normal that the RF decouples just below 0.7m, and that certain independent Leica service people manage to adjust it in such a way that the RF keeps coupling at closer focus, to the limit of e.g. the 50mm Summicron.

My test photos came out perfect. I also called Leica Solms Service on the next working day, and was informed by a very friendly Leica technician that the original, official technical specification and design of the RF mechanism covers distances from 0.7m to infinity, and that this is the way a Leica M will be adjusted in Solms, i.e., the RF will decouple just below 0.7m (they had to adjust everything after they repaired the meter -- and my M6TTL came actually back in very good shape, with very accurate shutter speeds, clean viewfinder etc.). If somebody adjusts it differently, such that it couples to closer distances, it is at one's own risk regarding the accuracy [he did not say that this would mean that the RF would not be accurate].