M7 and moisture

I got the M7 this year as my first 'electrics' camera.

It is approaching Winter here and I wear the camera under a windbreaker, over

a second lining. I took out the camera a few times receently to find it

covered in moisture. It's never hurt any Leica M (2,4) I've used for the past

40 years.

But with electrics... Do you think the design is a risk in this case? Is the

M7 a Fair Weather camera?

Eventually I will leave the camera outside the coat to find the temperature in

which it fails, and meanwhile look for another M4.

This should be perspiration. Condensation only occurs when a cold camera is put into a warm/humid environment. Examples, exiting an air conditioned building on the tropics or entering a warm lodge after skiing.

Hi Pico:

How about asking Luigi to make you a Gore-Tex & Leather case:)

In Sarasota, Florida I am always setting my bags outside for 1/2 hour or so to acclimate to the weather - lately it's been great so no issues - otherwise in the heat after being in A/C I can get a pretty good sweat/condensation going on with any of my cameras/lenses & usually crack the bag tops to allow air to circulate for a while & then all is good.

I'm going to suggest not keeping the camera on your body initially & carry a loosely fit case or bag in order for the camera to acclimate - otherwise leave your second layer unzipped a bit to allow for airflow - if need be go to three layers & do the airing out thing between layers #2 & new layer #3.

For those suggesting it's perspiration - it's simply Pico's body heat/temperature vs. the outside temperature.

I can effect perspiration issues when it's hot & I am hot & my viewfinder will steam up due to this.

I do not have an M7 but my son does & has not had any issues with heat/condensation & has used it here in Sarasota, Colorado & also Beirut, Lebanon with no problems.

Regards

<b>Bill Blackwell</b> <i>

How are you Pico? I'm not sure you have a whole lot to worry about. Similar weather conditions exist in Germany (and the rest of Europe) and there have been no report of such problems with the M7 I am aware of.</i><p>

Hello, Bill! All is well here, thank you. About the situation - you might recall that I lived in Northern France as a young puppy with an M2 and the climate there is is nothing like my present space - MinneSnowta USA :) where I have experienced -40F.

<p>

Indeed, it is unfair to expect electrics to behave beyond the physics of the norm. <p>

I'm just an insecure Olde Pharte embarking upon this battery-powered thing. <p>

Thank you for replying.<p

--<br>

Pico in the Tropics of MinneSnowta, USA.

<b>Lee Hamiel</b><i>

How about asking Luigi to make you a Gore-Tex & Leather case:)</i> <p>

He makes sexy stuff! That thought crossed my mind, but I change film so often that a case is a hassle - unless it comes off with the bottom plate somehow. Does it?<p>

Found a few M4* for sale. Now I have to learn the differences between the models. (Which one is quietest?)