M6 Vertical Adjustment DIY Special. Enjoy.

john_wayne4

I recently obtained a nice early M6 from Ebay in great condition as my secondary M, but the catch was that the

vertical adjustment on the focus was just a hair off. Other than trying to return the camera, I figured I’d live

with it. But as time went by, the focus was really starting to annoy me. I know you can always send off you

camera to Leica USA or DAG or some other expert, but I’m too impatient (I just can’t wait for the turnaround

time). So I decided to tackle the problem myself. Older Ms are easy to adjust, it’s just a matter of turning a

screw. However, M4-P and on require a special tool. I did some research and an old photo.net tread was, excuse

the pun, “instrumental.”

http://www.photo.net/leica-rangefinders-forum/00FVCb

So being frugal, I decided to fashion one for myself. Here’s how. I took a 2mm flat screw driver and filed it

down on one side to fit into the vertical adjustment slot and left the rest to turn the sideway U slide up and

down. Make sure to cut the glue that holds the adjustment in place before you start rotating the tool with a

shape blade (that’s the golden color bit in the picture). The adjustment slide can now be easily moved. You also

don’t have to take the red dot off either. I just opened the top plate, and put it on back and forth, after each

adjustment turn. It only requires the tiniest of movement to make the vertical focus go up and down. Be patient

and never force your precision camera or it’s going to cost you $$$! After the adjustment is done, secure the

adjustment with a tiny bit of glue (I like Pliobond, it’s easy to remove). That’s it. Sharing is caring. Thanks.<div>00QphO-70723884.jpg.8c4200d7ec4d530003592c1103a6bdb2.jpg</div>