M6 Top plate damage

paul_ozzello

I'm 45 years old soon and I've had all kinds of stuff impairing my 'finish'. I still work OK. (Not had bubbles yet though.)

I guess it depends on whether you intend on selling soon. If so then the bubbles might be a problem.

Cosmetic perfection is so (disproportionately) important nowadays compared to results.

Same problem with cameras.

When these cameras were introduced, Leica knew of the potential problem and said it was from impurities in the alloy, which it is, and they took great pains to have zink alloys free from impurities and this would not be a problem. They lied.

Since chrome is porous microscopically, sealing it with chrome polish may prevent acid from your hands from prenetrating the chrome and starting the reaction. Turtle wax makes a chrome polish for autos. A proper plating process to seal the zink would have been to first nickel then copper plate, then chrome on top. I guess this costs too much for a $2000 camera. Since people report worn corners becoming zink and no intermittent plating ,I suggest this was not done. Black chrome should receive the same protection.

Borrowing from auto technology, I have kept the laquered brass on my view camera looking new with Nu Finish ment for laquered cars.

I had a Leica R4S (SLR) that I bought new in the early 80's, and with the Florida humidity and my sweaty fingers it was covered with those "bubbles" after about a year. My 50's and 60's vintage M2 and M3 chrome bodies still look fine except for a bit of brassing, but no corrosion.

John,

<br><br>

<i>>>Why did they stop using brass top plates?<<</i>

<br><br>

Easier manufacturing; die casting, I believe. Happened during the cost cutting years of Canadian manufacturing and carried on to Solms. Now they're back to using brass thanks to computer controlled machining.