M6 Film Advance Lever

erik_l.

Hi All,

Can anyone tell me what is involved in swapping the advance lever on

an M6 to the old M3 style advance lever?

Is this a DIY conversion or does it require any special tools or

advanced knowledge?

Thanks for any insight,

Erik.

It's definitely a DIY, requires no modifications--in fact the advance lever for the MP is the same as the old M3 style. It does require a special tool (that is, not pliers!)which is basically a ring wrench. You can get one from www.micro-tools.com or any camera repair place probably has one that will fit. Or you could get the part from Leica--that is, assuming they don't refuse to sell it to you as a thread below seems to suggest they won't and haven't for a year--although I got an M6 eyepiece from them last month, and have a camera repair guy install it for you. The part itself will be the most expensive thing.

Mitch,

Nothing is broken. I used an M3 over the weekend, and I really like the old style advance lever. Nothing more, nothing less.

Thanks Jay for the advice. Do you happen to have any links to how to do this?

Erik.

Erik-

I don't have a link for you, but I've done this modification. The ring around the shutter release button unthreads counterclockwise - the special tool simply allows you to grip the ring without marring it or slipping and trashing some other part of the camera (or your hand) with a pair of piers. If the retaining ring is factory original, it'll be on really, really tight. Once you're successful in removing it, the advance lever simply lifts off. There's also a washer in there somewhere.... Don't worry, it'll be obvious. Your mileage may vary, but I feel it's a pretty simple procedure.

Another note about the tool - I'm not sure what its current price is, but you may wish to compare its cost to that of a replacement retaining ring (assuming the option of using pliers and carefully applied brute force), especially if you don't plan to do this very often or tighten the hell out of the ring getting it back on again. Purists are probably cringing at this comment....

Finally, note that both the single stroke and double stroke M3 levers will work, but the longer one (double stroke? maybe someone else recalls) will contact the larger shutter speed dial on an M6TTL.

Best of luck,