M6 built in light meter -dead??!

Sorry if this sounds obvious, but have you tried new batteries? I tend to leave my cameras

turned on in my bag, so if the shutter button stays depressed halfway, the batteries can drain

fairly quickly.

There are two solutions to this problem. Either turn the camera off, or do not wind-on after

your last photo, which means the meter won't turn on. Either way, your camera won't be

ready to shoot, so I do none of the above and occasionally waste a set of batteries.

Other than dead batteries, I've never had a problem with an m6 or mp meter.

There's actually no "off" on an M6 (vs. the M6ttl which has an "off" position), but you can set the M6 to B. Or, there's an after-market device (the "rose" I believe) which effectively creates an off position.

But something -- not sure what ? -- makes me think Teitur has tried a new battery and still has the problem. True ?

Yes... had the same problem w/ my M6 classic. And this is my journey..

I asked the same question here, and got the usual 'check your battery', and 'make sure your shutter is cocked' replies. ..and I do suggest you check those issues.. I replaced my batteries, and still no response. I took the batteries out.. looked at them, put them back in, and it worked. ...but something was just not right... it always seemed to meter in an odd way...for months.

If you have an early M6.. then you will learn as I have. In my case, it came from me sending my M6 to Sherry 2 weeks ago for a CLA, and a few other fixes.. Sherry called when she received my camera, and after I said 'hello' on the phone, the first thing she said, "your circuit board is old and needs to be replaced.. the meter is 3 stops off!"

So.. if you have an M6 that says 'Leitz' instead of Leica on the red dot, chances are.. you will need to replace your circuit board. Early M6's (classics), didn't have the best circuit boards, and also wore the red badge of the original company name. The classic M6's circuit boards are good for about 20 years. Well... we're at that 20 year mark. :)

I was told this 'Leitz' circuit board issue from a few forum replies.. and in the end, they were more correct than having to replace the batteries. Sherry explained it *very* clear about the issues w/ early M6's.

Now..when your meter worked, did your meter lights blink when you would try and meter w/ the lens cap on? If it did.. then your M6 had the board replaced, or you have newer M6. Sherry replaces all boards w/ the MP board that blinks.

Good luck... and for you, I hope it's batteries.. but if you see 'Leitz', very good chance your M6 is now an M4.

Joel: thanks! It's good to know that early M6 classics circuit boards may tank any moment now. (Just wish I had known before I got mine just recently.) Anyway, how much does Sherry charge doing the circuit board replacement?

you betcha. ..and I hear ya. wish I knew that as well!

Sherry is doing a great deal of work on my M6. replacing both (shattered) glass windows on the face of the body (my doing), upgrading to the MP viewfinder, full CLA, and the circuit board... all of that is just over $800. I think the board is $170, and the labor for that along with the full CLA is $40 (full CLA $260).

google 'sherry leica' ;)

Drop Sherry an email... she's the best.

good luck!

I have a late M6 Classic (says "Leica", not "Leitz") from Solms, bought used in like new condition. The meter in it quit working after about 6-7 months. No matter what ISO I set or what the light conditions, my exposure reads something like 1/1000 at f/16. I have changed batteries, cleaned contacts, wiggled controls and whacked the camera a few times and it still doesn't work. I finally took out the battery and quit worrying about it. That was about 5 years ago. I keep thinking I'll send it to someone for repairs but it still works perfectly except for the meter. I just pretend it's an M4-P.

Had same problem with Leica M6 Classic and sent it to Dag. No new meter board required. There was a simple wiring problem . Meter works like new. It had been 12 or 13 years since a cla , so I had him do that also. Total was like 300.00 Also try cleaning the 3 gold contacts in the back of the camera with a pencil erasure:VERY LIGHTLY.

My experience was like Lee's, except that I sent it to DAG. Incredibly, the new replacement part failed very shortly after I received it, so it got another replacement. The repair was not cheap. I had a CLA and "reduced flare" upgrade done at the same time, while the camera was apart anyway.

• 6 months later...

My M6 is the older 1986 version. I had the same problem with a dead meter. Dang. None of

the above suggestions worked and I was getting ready to send it in for a repair. On a whim, I

took the lens off, and the meter turned on, I could see one of the LEDs very brightly in the

viewfinder. I put the lens back on and off a few times, and the meter started working. Go

figure. I can only guess that the lens coupling has something to do with completing an

electrical circuit? There aren't any electrical contacts on the lens, so what gives? It has to be a

mechanical link. All I care about is that the meter started working again.