M42 Converter on an A Series Canon

danac

I just bought an old but beautifully cared for Pentax Spotmatic SP along with three screw-in Takumar lenses. With the recent purchase of the subject converter I can now use the SMC Takumar 200mm/f/4 lens with my A-1, AE-1 and FTb-N. The Canon manual instructions for stop-down metering are rather vague and refer to the older FL lenses. What is the correct procedure for the above? I also have a Canon 2x teleconverter that may or may not work with this arrangement. I don't want to damage my cameras.
A book's a great place to hide out in - Trevanian

I occasionally use Takumars from my old Spotmatic on my original F-1. I just put the lens on manual and turn the aperture ring until the F-1's meter needle intersects with the nub visible in the viewfinder. Works well. The same procedure should work with the FTb. Not sure about A-series cameras.
  • Like 1

Like the Canon EOS cameras, the short flange distance on the FD cameras allows easy use of many wonderful old lenses, and not just NIkon. Even such now-oddities such as Exakta-mount lenses can be used.

Exakta-mount Biotar on Canon EOS with adapter

Exakta-Biotar-on-Canon-w-adapt.jpg.fc5fed72a276807599773fb6a8c4f2d5.jpg

Ironically, one camera mount that does not adapt easily is FD to EF or vice versa.

I think I've got it. The difficulty lies in the fact that I now have four camera bodies that can and will be used with this lens and all are very different. I'll have to make little notes to put in the lens case for each one. The challenge of film cameras is such great fun and it's never too late to have a happy childhood.

The Takumar 200mm f/4 lens with the M42/FD converter worked fine on the AE-1. With the lens set to AUTO I didn't even have to push the stop down button in. It worked either way. The lens also worked fine with the Canon 2x teleconverter. With this setup however, the tripod is your best friend. Both views looked clear and well focused. The developed negatives will be the real test though. This hobby just gets better and better. Now if I could just make photos as beautifully as my wife, Deb does, all will be right in the world.
  • Like 1