M42 auto on other SLRs

<p>I fancy using M42 lenses on bayonet mount SLRs, and have adapters that allow me do to so on my Nikons, Minoltas and Canons. I'm now facing a problem I cannot solve.<br>

I got a Hanimex 24mm lens that only works in the automatic diafragm mode (that is, it doesn't have the usual A-M switch). The result is, when installing the lens on a bayonet-mount camera through an adapter, the diafragm pin remains extended, and the lens thus always remains at max. aperture irrespective of the value as selected on the aperture ring.<br>

The obvious solution consists in ensuring that the pin stays depressed, but how? No tape is strong enough, because the small spring is too powerful. Any idea or suggestion, please? (NOTE: I don't intend to modify or ruin the lens permanently, because I intend to use it on M42 cameras as well).</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I use some clear nail polish to fix the pin in place. It's strong and not as 'permanent' as removing, disfiguring, or anything else.<br />Tape the pin down securely after you've dribbled some nail polish around it , then wait for it to dry. It should hold.</p>

<p>Alternatively, try a few drops of adhesive from a hot glue gun. It dries very quickly and can be easily chipped away with minimal fuss or damage to painted area around lens mount.</p>

<p>I use M42/EOS adapters principally, and there's quite a variation in pattern. I finally found one which has the mounting flange wide enough to depress the pin on most M42 lenses, so they <em>are</em> out there. I queried the sellers on this point before buying. Otherwise, <strong>Gabor</strong> is on to it!</p>

<p>Yep, the easiest way is to find an adapter that will depress the pin. 2 of the 3 EOS adapters I have do this -- as they were the first two I bought, I was surprised to discover all did not. I use the other one only with a bellows.</p>

<p>Don't please, for the sake of those of us who still use M42 cameras, go the route of gluing down the pin. It usually kills the lens for any other use. There are many M42>EOS adapters and, as Rick has said, there are plenty available for the same price that have a small flange that depresses the pin while it's mounted.</p>

<p>As a rule, Nikons and such don't play well with M42 lenses, anyway. Try an old Praktica L body for the <em>real</em> experience.</p><div>00YfME-354367884.jpg.26017354a79f97464f7e7e13be27a660.jpg</div>