M3 Not Firing Flash Below 1/50

<p>I was (quite luckily) given a Leica M3 double stroke a couple of years ago, and just recently got the adaptor so I plug a standard PC cord into the proprietary Leica X-sync flash contact.<br /><br />After some experimenting, I've found that the flash will only fire when the shutter speed is at 1/50 or higher. When I set it at 1/25 and lower, it will not fire.<br /><br />Since this is a focal plane shutter and presumably doesn't sync any higher than 1/50, this doesn't make any sense. Flash isn't going to cover the whole frame at higher speeds. But being able to use speeds below 1/50 to drag the shutter to pick up ambient fill could be useful.<br /><br />So is this normal on an M3? Or is something wrong with my camera?</p>

<p>Of course it's not normal. Some 20 years ago, I had the X cable corroded out somewhere on an M3, and I think I may have had the flash go off outside the shutter opening period, but I no longer recall. I had to have the cable replaced. I think the bulb circuit continued to work.<br>

Have you shot flash with the back open? You may find there is no light getting through.</p>

<p>The flash should fire at any shutter speed, but from 1/60 upwards you would get increasingly wide black areas in your� negs as the second curtain starts its travelling before the first curtain opened completely. AFAIK there is no prevention of firing the flash at higher speeds present in M film cameras.</p>

<p>Leica M3, M2, M4 and M5 all have 3 separate internal flash contacts. Any of these three contacts can be adjusted, but the <strong>speed dial contact</strong> in the<br>

upper body changes it's position as the shutter speed dial is moved.<br>

Cleaning all three contacts during a C L A then recalibrating their positions, should solve your issue.</p>