M3 Film Pressure Plate...Glass or Metal, How to Tell?

I'm considering a double stroke M3 for purchase but have a question

about the film pressure plate. The double stroke has a glass plate,

later models, metal. I supppose some (many?) DS cameras have had

the glass plate changed to metal over the years. How can one

distingush bewteen the two materials? Is this as obvious as it

seems, or not the case?

It's a ceramic material colored black like the metal. It really doesn't matter which one, there is no functional difference. Hiwever, the ceramic pressure plates were only used in the earliest M3s, and this was quickly changed to metal. I can't tell you exactly when, but I;m guessing any camera after the SN 710000 or 720000 or so would have the metal pressure plate.

Non ferrous magnet test, small powerful magnet on a bit of string, swing magnet, find the time for it to reduce to 1/2 amplitude. Next swing magnet close to the plate, any conductor will have eddy currents induced and slow the magnet down, again find the time to reduce to 1/2 amplitude. If this is shorter then you have a conductor near the magnet.

huw,

what are eddy currents? (versus the traditional current that people usually assume?)

it seems like the current formed would have to do work in order for the time for 1/2 amplitude to be reduced.

where is the work going to? (is it heating the plate?)

Luckily, my pristine 1973 Leica CL has a metal pressure plate. I believe metal is better than glass, unless we're going to talk about lenses. However, I've read that plastic lenses are just as good. Why not go for a M4? Is the M3 a better camera than the M4? I don't know. ;*)

One will see fine grindeing on the metal one, and even some wear to partially exposed base metal. If one rewind too fast on a camera in the cold with a ceramic plate, one may get static marks on the film. It was part of the design of the old RW knob: to slow down the RW.

Ha! Huw must not be a materials engineer if he cannot tell ceramic from metal ;)

In medical imaging, we can induce "eddy currents" in the nervous system if we move a patient too quickly into the magnet bore of an MRI system.

Stephen, I think you have it backwards. They were afraid that a rapid wind lever would increase the risk of static electricity discharge causing marks on the film if they continued using metal like in the thread mount bodies. The M3 was released in 1954, probably on the drawing boards since 1952, and the big 35mm competition at that time in lever winding was the Exakta, an SLR that still had waist level viewing at the time and a left hand wind lever that went through about 240 degrees to wind the film ~ hardly a high speed machine.

Using an ohmmeter, or even a basic continuity tester that you can buy in Home Depot, you can test whether the plate is electrically conductive. A continuity tester is nothing but a light bulb in series with a battery and two test leads. When the circuit is complete, the bulb lights. Metal will complete the circuit, but glass won't.

Why're you so surprized? They ain't no end to what these dudes'll do with there Leicas accept use em to shoot.

>huw finney Photo.net Patron, jun 04, 2005; 09:58 a.m.

"Hell I only made it hafway thru the twelf grade", which half??<

Geeze Louise dude your dummern a stump, I don't feel so bad now.