M246 monochrom vs M8 - Black & white comparison

ray .

Hey Strangers!

Just wondering if anyone here has extensively used both Leica M8 and M246 monochrom and has an opinion on how the 246 stacks up *specifically* on b&w tonal quality. Yes, I know the newer camera is more advanced handling high ISO, screen size etc etc etc. I want to know what the black & white pics look like. I’ve never had a digital camera that compared to the M8 at 160 or 320 ISO, where every shot out of it converted to monochrome in one click would knock it out of the park with rich blacks and greys.

M9 produced pretty good b&w, M240 not so much- more of a hit or miss, attempts to find it, often fruitlessly in Silver Efex Pro, etc.

With the M8 none of that was needed.

Ray

• Like 2

The M8 sensor (Kodak) was specially designed to emulate film especially for B/W rendition. A very tough act to follow for most other Leica M cameras; the M monochrome was designed to also emulate B/W film.

The problem with the M8 is it is no longer supported by Leica or the M9 both with Kodak sensors.. My understanding.

So, the Leica M Monochrome is only answer for that B/W film look or film which instill alive and rocking and rolling.

Good to hear from you, Ray.

Excellent replies to an interesting post I think. My M8 is my only m mount digital Leica and I took a chance on it 3 years ago for £1000. I bought from a dealer so had 6 months warranty which I felt I needed. I have loved every moment of using the M8 and print only b/w from it. I believe it is a filmic quality that I see. Now the camera is over ten years old every shooting trip is a bonus, it has paid for itself. For the price of an entry level camera I have enjoyed this classic. Being realistic I know I will want to replace it when it fails, that is why I would be very interested to hear of the b/w capabilities of later Leicas. Greetings to fellow M8 users and here's hoping they carry on for a few more years, both cameras and users, Charles.
  • Like 1