m2 with screw mount to bayonette adapter lenses ...

jnanian

hi

i recently aquired a m2 (2-stroke) with some lenses that were originally screw mount,

now adapted for the bayonette mount. the 35mm is not coupled with the rangefinder

... besides getting a new lens that is coupled with the rangefinder, is there any sort of

accessory ( like a mask?) that is available that will allow me to get use from this lens?

thanks for your suggestions -

-john

John,

Victor asked the pertinant question, i.e. what kind of lens is it? If it lacks the proper rf cam (or any cam for that matter) it will not couple to the rf.

However, you may be able to scale focus at higher aperatures if light levels permit.

The M2 vf is slightly wider than the field of view of the 35mm lens, and with practice (use the frame selector) you'll learn to get the proper framing.

I'm curious that you describe your M2 as "2-stroke", as I'm fairly certain they were all manufactured as single stroke (but you can manually operate them as 2 stroke). Perhaps at an early age, it was converted to 2-stroke only. That would have had to have been done quite awhile ago though.

Best,

Jerry

There were no 2-stroke M2 ever made, M3 yes, and if that is what you have then its a

whole different way of getting a 35mm frame with the 'goggled M3' lenses or external

finder. 'Viewfinder' and 'Rangefinder' are two different features in the same place. A

Leitz 'LTM' (Leica Thread Mount) lens with proper adapter will be coupled to the

rangefinder AND activate the right Viewfinder lens frame - what is, as long as the

proper frame lines are available. The M2 has 35mm frames, the M3 2-stroke does

not.

John, what does the frame counter on your camera look like? If it has a glass window with the number dial underneath, it's an M3. If it's a manually resetting type on top of the deck, around the shutter button, then it's an M2. If it's an M3, you can get an accessory viewfinder to slide into the "cold shoe." Or, you can trade your 35mm lens for one with "eyes" or "goggles" that will let you see a 35mm field of view in the finder. So let us know what the frame counter looks like; and which lens you have. As a matter of fact, it should say "M2" or "M3" on the top plate, before the serial number.

Hi again :)

thanks for all the responses!

I made a typo - the camera is a M3 ... serial # 804289

as for the lens it is "ernst leitz gmbh wetzlar -- summaron f f3.5cm"

from what i understand, the 50mm & 90mm are "adapted" and the frame lines appear

when those lenses are used ...

rob f. you suggest that i might be able to find an accessory view finder to use with

this lens? are they hard to come by?

sorry for such a goofy typo :) i was thinking M3 but typed M2 <g>

thanks!

-john

Cosina-Voigtlander makes a current 35mm viewfinder. Contact Rich Pinto (photovilla@aol.com)he sells that line. Other options are an original Leitz 35mm finder, which is an expensive ($400+ in good shape)collectible, or one of the multi-focal finders but they give very small views by comparison to the single-finder. Also you can find 35mm finders of vintage age for not too much money. I've got a Canon one from the 50's, use it on my LTM when I don't want to lug the Imarect around.