Lumix is fading out from our mind...

<p>How do you know that the GF2 and GF3 failed, do you have any websites that show sales figures? I can't seem to find anything about it online. In fact, the Panasonic annual report for 2011 claims increased sales in m4/3 land. Are you subscribed to IDC or NPD, whereas you have different data?<br>

Honestly, there are other things hurting Panasonic. First, Olympus has messed up big time. We'll see what happens with them, but their medical imaging division is really their golden egg; they could care less about cameras.<br>

Second, I think that overall their camera business is doing very well. The GH2 is doing well enough that it's being compared favorably as a replacement for DSLRs. Whether you're at photo forums like here, or at movie forums like DVXuser, the GH2 is one of the bad boys to have. The G3 is being praised for its performance. Their smaller cameras seem to be selling very well.</p>

<p>Peter, your name seems English or American but judging from your grammar it does not seem like English is your native language. I don't really know what you are trying to communicate in your second post.</p>

<p>Regardless, here are some links of Panasonic financial results. The division with digital cameras had a sales decrease of 14% from a year ago. You can look through all the tables and draw your own conclusions.</p>

<p>http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fphotoscala.de%2FArtikel%2FPanasonic-stellt-sich-mit-Verlust-neu-auf<br>

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/announcement-of-financial-resultspanasonic-reports-second-quarter-and-six-month-results-2011-10-31</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I know you are writers for pana. it is very right that you are performing your jobs. how i knew gf2 & gf3 failed, you also knew that...</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Spare me!<br>

If all you are trying to do is troll up an argument, you're doing well, but if you are trying to stimulate genuine conversation you're a total FAIL.</p>

<p>Peter, if you think I'm a Panasonic shill, you need to look at some of my previous posts. Or, maybe you just like to be wrong about EVERYTHING you say. I asked you for proof that the GF2 and GF3 were sales flops, because I don't see any online. Instead of providing said proof that they aren't selling well, you go straight to the personal attacks to try to discredit a reasonable argument against your wholly unreasonable argument. Again though, I don't have access to IDC or NPD data, so if you know something I don't, feel free to share. Otherwise, you're just a fanboy who's been hurt because of your own expectations for a new model, and you're throwing a tantrum online to make yourself feel better.</p>

<p>Would a Panasonic employee say that online?</p>

The LX5 has been passed by the Fuji X10 as the smallish-sensor camera of choice.

The TS3 will be inferior to the Canon D10 replacement, if it ever comes out. Currently the TS3 is superior if you don't install CHDK on the D10, inferior if you do.

The FZ150 looks excellent. Finally a CMOS superzoom with good image quality. Isn't the FZ line a huge success? The TZ/ZS series was an initial success, but the ZS10 is less than competitive.

Micro 4/3 was a fad in the UK, but never caught on in a big way elsewhere. With Sony NEX replacing the viewfinderless models, and Sony SLT replacing the EVF models, m4/3 has no significant advantage any more. No wonder they've had a 14% sales decline. I would like to blame it on proprietary batteries, but that's probably not the cause.

<p>Cool, I've got a new job! Writer for Panasonic....<br>

:-)</p>

<p>Think I'll stick to my actual job, though. And to my normal camera, which is not a Panasonic at all. The P&S is a nice thing, but well, I got it because it was cheap, small enough and decent enough. And because the Canon I actually wanted wasn't available.<br>

Clearly, wanting a Canon to sit alongside my Nikon DSLR to replace a broken Fuji P&S makes me a Panasonic messenger. Obvious.</p>

<p>In fact, I decided to do a little more searching, in case I was missing something obvious. BOTH the GF2 and GF3 are in this week's top 10 cameras sold:<br>

http://bcnranking.jp/category/subcategory_0008.html</p>

<p>And Yahoo claims that Panasonic and Sony together own 70%:<br>

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Research-and-Markets-Global-bw-2629392611.html?x=0</p>

<p>Of course, if we want a breakdown, you could put your money where your mouth is, and buy the full report for 2011, only 1,400 Euro.<br>

http://www.researchandmarkets.com/research/d043c9/global_and_chinese</p>

<p>Peace, crybaby.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Why would anyone interested in taking photos care that much about a camera business being sold to another manufacturer?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>A person may own a lot of gear from that company and is wondering about future lenses, warranty support, etc. in case of a sale.</p>

<p>I actually care because I have worked on image processing chips in digital cameras. The sales of chips to various camera companies is what provided me with money to live.</p>

<p>It is possible for native speakers to be relatively inarticulate in written communication. The "paranoid style" in discourse is similarly not limited to non-Americans.</p>

<p>I personally suspect the OP of being a Trotskyite entrist worker for a Lumix competitor. :\</p>

That BCNranking is just Japan, right? Nobody in the US would buy a camera named Kiss.

Yahoo's 70% number is only for the EVIL market. For DSLR, a much larger market worldwide, Canon and Nikon have 75% market share.

Amazon's top 100 has Panasonic FH25 in 6th place, but no Micro 4/3 cameras in the top 100.

<p>Bill, yes that BCN ranking is just Japan; IDC and NPD would be 100% applicable to this discussion, but IDC's report costs $2,000:<br>

http://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?containerId=230730<br>

NPD has good articles too, but again they probably cost about the same.</p>

<p>The Kiss X5 is just the Japanese name for the Canon T3i. Just how they do things over there. Their cars are named like that too. Our (American) Nissan 370Z is a Nissan Fairlady over there, the Infiniti G37 is called a Skyline, and the Lexus IS used to be called an Altezza. I didn't mean the link to be absolute proof, but it's the only hard data I found after a bit of searching. It's fine if the GF2 and GF3 are failures, no skin off my back, but I'd like to see some data that points that way, because I don't understand that to be the case. I'm not a big fan of baseless assumptions and unfounded assumptions, which the OP seems to be providing in spades. Walt has provided a link as good as any that I've found at marketwatch.com. Digital cameras are included in Digital AVC networks, which also includes mobile phones, Bluray, and TV, which all together are down 14%. However, it also notes the Japan earthquake and the strengthening of the yen. So, I'm not sure, but while the OP may not like the direction that Panasonic took with the GF2 and GF3, I'd like to see something from him that shows them to be failures, market-wise.</p>

<p>look, pana is a manufacturer who could not tolerate any unit having negative profit in consecutive three years. pana killed its mobile phone unit in 2005 and tried to sell its plasma facility because of poor TV business now. as a consumer, i am better to reply on a producer who RELYS 100% on camera business, like Nikon, Leica and Canon.<br>

there could be chance that i invest on pana mini 4/3 system with somes lens and suddenly pana closes its camera business. just a waste of money. right? GH2 was a good camera? ha ha, what a joke. ok, even if it were a good selling model, how the sales of GH2 could compensate for the loss of market segments where gf1 and other fx models made in the past.<br>

yes, i am not from western countries, but what's wrong with that. i just know management style pf pana. pana is a old fashioned company and senior members of camera factory just fail to follow the new trend of digital camera, not even mentions leading the trend.</p>

<p>Flash - Dateline 19 November 2011 - Reality News Network -<br>

Nikon has it's toes in other puddles ...<br>

<a href="http://biz.yahoo.com/ic/51/51742.html">http://biz.yahoo.com/ic/51/51742.html</a><br>

In part -</p>

<table border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" width="100%">

<tbody>

<tr>

<td colspan="3" width="100%">

<table border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="3" width="100%">

<tbody>

<tr>

<td bgcolor="#bfcede"><strong>Nikon Corporation Company Profile</strong> </td>

</tr>

</tbody>

</table>

</td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td height="5"> </td>

</tr>

<tr valign="top">

<td width="49%">

<table cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" width="100%">

<tbody>

<tr>

<td>Nikon's focus extends far wider than most consumers would believe. Though well-known for its cameras, lenses, and other consumer imaging products, Nikon vies with national rival Canon and Netherlands-based ASML Holding to be the world's top producer of photolithography steppers, which is the crucial equipment used to etch circuitry onto semiconductor wafers and LCD panels (the Precision Equipment division). The company's Instruments unit makes surveying instruments, microscopes, and measuring instruments. Other products include ophthalmic lenses, optical equipment, and thin film coatings. Founded in 1917, Nikon is part of the huge Mitsubishi "keiretsu", a group of businesses linked by cross-ownership. </td>

</tr>

</tbody>

</table>

</td>

</tr>

</tbody>

</table>

<p>i still remmeber 20 years ago when i bought a technics organ to my kids who went to technics organ academy every weekend. but suddenly, pana closed its techincs organ business all of a sudden simply because of continued loss of money.</p>

<p> imagine how my kids were trying to adapt to other organ manufacturer - yamaha... a painful experience to my kids and a pain experience to my pocket...</p>