LR CC vs Bridge CC for organizing files

Discussion in 'Digital Darkroom' started by benjamin_kim|2, May 6, 2016.

1. I use LR for organizing all RAW files base on years, dates, and topics which is very helpful. But people told me that I should use Bridge CC instead of LR. In fact, almost 90% of internship require bridge CC knowledges. I really don't see why Bridge CC is helpful and useful program. It doesn't even organize and store all files together like LR. Any ideas why photography industry prefer Bridge CC?

2. digitaldog

digitaldog Andrew Rodney

But people told me that I should use Bridge CC instead of LR.​
    I can find people who will tell you that you should smoke Meth. There are people who will tell you that you should use Canon instead of Nikon, or a Mac instead of a Windows machine (or vise versa). Pointless really.
    I really don't see why Bridge CC is helpful and useful program.​
    As a LR user who needs a DAM and not a browser, neither do I.
    Any ideas why photography industry prefer Bridge CC?​
    Who speaks for the photo industry with any accuracy? Answer, no one. Opinions are like assholes; everybody has one. If you're happy with LR, be happy that you're happy.

3. Data organization has two parts. The first part is to store data in an organized fashion. The second part consists of rules to retrieve the data, where ever it's stored. The purpose is to "write once, read many."
    I use the file explorer to create directories with a date code and brief subject description, and store images by date of capture. I could do the same thing with LR or Bridge, but why go through another step. Once that's done, I can import them into LR or look at them in Bridge. However LR has decent query tools, whereas Bridge has practically none.
    The basic principles are those of a relational database (qv), set forth by an IBM employee named Cobb in 1970, henceforth used by practically everyone except IBM. (If you make things too easy for your customers, they don't need consultants from IBM to run their database.)

4. EricM

EricM Planet Eric

Bridge is a wonderful and powerful file explorer that allows you
    to do almost everything that Lr can do, but without the hassle
    and trappings of a personal database. It's search function is
    second to none as Lr only searches its own database. You can
    also view all file types like .docx .pdf. etc in Bridge and this is
    often needed in the professional photography world. In many regards, Bridge is quicker. I can drag 20 gb of raws from my cf card to a folder on my hard drive and start working in Bridge quicker than in Lr. Lr is quicker for global adjustments, keywording, and rating. Most
    professionals and enthusiasts use both Lr and Bridge as each has its strengths and weaknesses. If you had to choose between one or the other, Bridge is more flexible and is why a lot of employers insist on you knowing it

5. "But people told me that I should use Bridge CC instead of LR."

Those "people" if they are just photographers are either wrong or misinformed.

" In fact, almost 90% of internship require bridge CC knowledge."

Bridge is great but it is best used as a connecter of your digital files and the various Adobe CS and CC programs:
    Photoshop, Acrobat, Illustrator, Premiere, etc. If I were a multi-media studio, content producer, ad agency, or design firm looking to hire an intern I would want my interns to know how to use Bridge.

Bridge is only a browser: it can only see and locate digital files on drives, arrays, and disks that are connected to the
    computer.

Lightroom is a Database catalog (plus image processing tools). If an image file is in a Lightroom catalog it knows where it
    is.

6. digitaldog

digitaldog Andrew Rodney

http://terrywhite.com/adobe-bridge-cc-vs-lightroom-5/

7. As above. Stay clear from people who tell you to use Bridge for organizing files; just hope or pray that's their only
    misconception.

8. "But people told me that I should use Bridge CC instead of LR."
    Those "people" if they are just photographers are either wrong or misinformed.​
    I am neither wrong or misinformed. I user bridge much more than I use LR, but I do use both. I am a film photographer and LR is severely lacking in the tools I need to use for image cleanup. Using LR to do things in PS is a kludge at best.....It works well with bridge. Syncing my folders with my fresh scans is a PITA at the best of times. When using Bridge, the photos are just "there". Once I am "done" with clean up, off to LR it goes.
    You are probably being told to Use bridge because it is free. Most graphic design shops that I have done work for don't own / use LR. For the most part it is an unnecessary expense. And yes, you can organize and manage your photos with Bridge. There was life before LR.

9. digitaldog

digitaldog Andrew Rodney

You are probably being told to Use bridge because it is free.​
    It is?
    So it seems so: http://prodesigntools.com/free-adobe-bridge-cc.html
    Between that being free and the free DNG converter, the Adobe haters will be majorly upset!
    There was life before LR.​
    True, but so less effective.

10. digitaldog

digitaldog Andrew Rodney

Another video (should you use Bridge or LR) from the lovely Julienne Kost:
    https://youtu.be/Tp2AThZiaBY

11. Both programs have their place and there is quite an overlap of things you can do in either of them.
    The biggest issue that I can think of LR for business/commercial use is that it is strictly single user, a major drawback for teamwork

12. Mr. Peter Carter,

I agree with you about Photoshop CC being more suited for dealing with processing digitized film images simply because
    Photoshop has a very effective spot healing toolset, layers, and the ability to work with an image in both LAB and CMYK
    as well as RGB color spaces (look up Lee Varis' 10-channel color workflow videos on Vimeo) .

But image proceasing is a very different kettle of fish from the question Mr. Kim asked, which was about using Bridge
    instead of Lightrroom or vice-versa ias an organizing tool.

13. Spearhead

Spearhead Moderator

The biggest issue that I can think of LR for business/commercial use is that it is strictly single user, a major drawback for teamwork​
    Is Bridge multi-user?

14. Is Bridge multi-user?​
    Bridge is just a browser so you might have more than one user accessing a folder. Also once you complete your work on an image, it is available to any other user without having to export first

15. EricM

EricM Planet Eric

"Bridge is only a browser: it can only see and locate digital files on drives, arrays, and disks that are
    connected to the computer."

Lr can only see and locate digital files on drives, arrays, and disks that are connected to the computer.

Bridge also does the same flagging, rating and keywording that many think only Lr can do.

16. digitaldog

digitaldog Andrew Rodney

Lr can only see and locate digital files on drives, arrays, and disks that are connected to the computer.​
    Wrong. That's why we build smart previews; to access and even edit files that are not connected to the computer. Once hooked up, because of the database storing these edits, it gets all applied to the data.
    Do yourself a favor and learn by watching the video's I provided above.

Advantages of Smart Previews

• Smart Previews are much smaller than the original photos. You can free up disk space on devices with smaller storage capacities (for example, SSD drives) by choosing to keep original files on a high-capacity external device (for example, NAS devices or external discs). For example, 500 raw images from a high-end DSLR camera may occupy 14 GB of disk space. The Smart Preview files for the same images amounted to 400 MB of disk space.
    • Continue to work with your Smart Preview files even when the device containing your original photographs is disconnected. You can perform all edits that you would perform on the original file.
    • Automatically sync any edits made on Smart Preview files with your original files, as soon as the device is reconnected to your computer.
    • Once created, your Smart Preview files are always up to date. When your storage device is connected, any edits you make to the original file are applied instantly to the Smart Previews as well.
    Oh and no, Bridge can't do that!

17. In addition to what Andrew Rodney said, if you only want to display your images (library, slide show) for keywording, rating, slideshow, etc, you just need the standard previews

Another big advantage of LR (for me) is that the logical organization of images through collections is independent of the physical organization (drives and folders) and you can have an image in more than one collections. E.G. I can have a collection for red cars and other for european cars. In a folder structure I have to choose either red cars or european cars or have duplicate of the images.

Most complaints I read in online forums are from users that want to use LR as a browser. Well, it is not, so if you can't stand the import process and preview creation, then keep using Bridge, which is a fine tool too.

18. digitaldog

digitaldog Andrew Rodney

Most complaints I read in online forums are from users that want to use LR as a browser. Well, it is not, so if you can't stand the import process and preview creation, then keep using Bridge, which is a fine tool too.​
    Exactly! Such complaints, and the recommendations to use one over the other is mostly provided by people who don't understand the differences in tools or the unique functionality of each as we've seen just here!
    The debate is even more silly than the "Nikon vs. Canon" or "Mac vs. PC" nonsense as both are very similar tools and the differences often boil down to subjective preferences. Bridge and LR are different tools just as MS Word and Photoshop are different tools with different goals despite the fact both have a type tool!
    People who wish to push one tool versus another onto other's who know just a bit less about their differences should spend less time pushing their tool preferences onto others and learn more about the differences in the tools first. Opinions are like assholes; everybody has one, and often the the biggest of both come from the same source <g>.
    "The reason there's so much ignorance is that those who have it are so eager to share it". -Frank A. Clark

19. Interesting about "smart previews." I guess it helps to read the manual, which I tend to do only out of desperation.
    I haven't used Bridge in years. It takes a long time for Bridge to render previews, so why do it a second time with LR. LR takes a long time to build smart previews, but it works in background, and prioritizes the image you select in the meantime.

20. digitaldog

digitaldog Andrew Rodney

Yes, RTFM or view the video's/articles/books by those who took the time to learn the various products and techniques.... certainly before posting advise! This is a general recommendation and not specific to Bridge vs. LR <g>.

21. >>> I can find people who will tell you that you should smoke Meth.

But wouldn't Bridge work better?

22. I still don't find Bridge CC to be useful compare to LR CC. Finder can do same tasks as Bridge CC do.

23. That was rude, Andrew. I acknowledged learning something from this thread, which you might take as a compliment. I know a thing or two about database management, and DAM is but a small subset of this field. Manuals are useful when learning how to do what you must do, and perhaps later to learn what you might do. On the first part, I think I'm good ;)
    By the way, "advise" is a verb. The correct usage is the noun, "advice."

24. digitaldog

digitaldog Andrew Rodney

That was rude, Andrew. I acknowledged learning something from this thread, which you might take as a compliment​
    A: It WAS rude.
    B: It wasn't directed at you. Apologies if that's what you thought. It was directed at the poster and future posters that provided incorrect and biased information about LR before checking his facts.
    C. Thanks for the grammar lesson.

25. EricM

EricM Planet Eric

Lr can only see and locate digital files on drives, arrays, and disks that are connected to the computer.​

Wrong. That's why we build smart previews; to access and even edit files that are not connected to the computer. Once hooked up, because of the database storing these edits, it gets all applied to the data.​

How do you export a full size 16 bit tiff from a dng that is disconnected from your computer and stored across town in a safety deposit box?
    Who speaks for the photo industry with any accuracy? Answer, no one.​

Can we see your photography website?

26. EricM

EricM Planet Eric

Is Bridge multi-user?​
    Yes. Multiple Bridge users, in photo editing and graphics departments, can access raw/xmp files through networks. The Lr catalog however can not be stored (reliably) on a network and have multiple users accessing it.
    Photo Mechanic and Capture One are both at least 50% faster at raw file indigestion, doing meta data, and exporting from raw than Lightroom is. PM and CO are both popular to use along with Bridge and then Ps

27. digitaldog

digitaldog Andrew Rodney

Can we see your photography website?​
    That question, and your misinformation about LR suggests you're not the sharpest knife in the drawer Eric.
    First off, if you click on my name, you'll find full transparency about me and my web site. Since that operation appears to be over your head, here's the direct link: http://www.photo.net/photodb/user?user_id=361342
    Hover your cursor and click on that text, it's called a link, it will take you to a page with information. Understand or do I have to create a video specifically for you?
    There you will find some links to my photography. Apparently you are unaware that PhotoNet provides an option for it's members to provide a gallery of their images. Further, have you ever used Google or searched https://www.linkedin.com for me?
    That you are unable to connect the dots here, in terms of finding samples of my photography, how does that in any way dismiss your wrong text about how LR operates? Answer: it doesn't. It does illustrate how you're not in a position to provide advise/advice here about the product you clearly don't understand how to use.

The reason there's so much ignorance coming from you is that you are so eager to share it!

28. Apologies, Andew. I appreciate your posts, very informative and useful.

29. digitaldog

digitaldog Andrew Rodney

Apologies, Andew. I appreciate your posts, very informative and useful.​
    And apologies back to you again and thanks. I could have been more clear. And in my last post to Sir Eric, I think I was. <G>.

30. EricM

EricM Planet Eric

What a wind bag. Seriously, can we have a link to your photography? We've all seen your PN gallery of snap shots that hasn't been updated since 2005 and we've visited your lousy looking .net (.net, really?) website that flogs tutorials and articles on color management and icc profiles. But where's the photography? You consistently chime in acting like a photographer yet there's no evidence that you even take photos for the fun of it let alone apply any of your "digital dog" skills to them. Talk is cheap, why can't you just answer the ops question? (In fact, almost 90% of internship require bridge CC knowledges. Any ideas why photography industry prefer Bridge CC?)
    Lr can only see and locate digital files on drives, arrays, and disks that are connected to the computer.

Wrong. That's why we build smart previews; to access and even edit files that are not connected to the computer. Once hooked up, because of the database storing these edits, it gets all applied to the data.​

If it's wrong, then stop avoiding my question. In Lr, how do you export a full size 16 bit tiff from a dng that is disconnected from your computer and stored across town in a safety deposit box?

31. If it's wrong, then stop avoiding my question. In Lr, how do you export a full size 16 bit tiff from a dng that is disconnected from your computer and stored across town in a safety deposit box?​
    You can edit a local or cloud copy of a smart preview, and those edits will be applied to the original image when that image is reconnected. The process is analogous to video editing using low bandwidth proxies, then re-connecting the original footage before rendering.

Why would the original DNG be stored in a safe across town? A backup copy perhaps, but the original and only copy - nonsense! That's why we have things like networks, servers, VPNs, and cloud storage.

32. EricM

EricM Planet Eric

I'm well aware of everything you mention Edward. Lr Mobile works this way. But it doesn't have anything to do with Andrew yelling Wrong

33. digitaldog

digitaldog Andrew Rodney

What a wind bag.​
    What a fact denier, evidence to follow:
    Seriously, can we have a link to your photography?​
    The links are on my site and here! I guess I need to make that video teaching you how to use them (FWIW, there are at eight links on the main page of my site; do I need to teach you what a 'main' web page means Eric?).
    We've all seen your PN gallery of snap shots that hasn't been updated since 2005​
    Another example of your inability to understand and recognize facts, that, like your statement above about LR is wrong! See the link HERE on PhotoNet that states:
    Gorman2014Workshops - 9 photos (slideshow)
    News flash Eric, 2014 isn't the same year as 2005! But being the fact denier you are, this isn't a surprise to me and I suspect others.
    Talk is cheap, why can't you just answer the ops question?​
    I did! The ONLY person asking stupid question and some wrong answers here is you sir!
    I understand the child in you is upset by writing something that's utterly wrong: Lr can only see and locate digital files on drives, arrays, and disks that are connected to the computer.
    LR see's them fine though Smart Previews and allow us to edit them as well. I don’t know if you are purposely trying not to understand this, or if you are really struggling with it. Based on your well vetted inabilities written above, seems the later.
    If it's wrong, then stop avoiding my question.​
    I'm avoiding your stupidity in denying the facts; a pointless waste of time for me.

34. digitaldog

digitaldog Andrew Rodney

You consistently chime in acting like a photographer yet there's no evidence that you even take photos for the fun of it let alone apply any of your "digital dog" skills to them.​
    There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action. Facts (not that they are something you understand):
    I graduated with honors from one of the best photo schools in the country if not the world (Art Center College of Design).

I was on the board of the APA/LA when I was a working photographer there (full disclosure: I left in 1994, haven't shot an image for money since then).

In 1984, I was hand picked to be one of only two photographers hired by the LA Olympic Committee, working for 7 months shooting the LA games. I was one of only 50 photographers in the world given access to every venue and location within the venue to shoot the 16 days of the games, the Olympic village; total photo carte blanche! So yeah, I've got some experience shooting sports in the days when auto-focus didn't exist and we captured on thousands of rolls of film.

I shoot editorial for Forbes magazine for years.

My advertising and corporate clients included Apple, Sony, Disney, Microsoft, Smart & Final, GTE.

Years before anyone like you took snapshots and could get a stock agent, I was selected by Tony Stone (later Getty) to represent my images.

Unlike you, I don't speak for the entire photo industry. Even though unlike you, I've got the above experience.

Member of any photography organizations Eric, APA, ASMP or otherwise? Got a impressive (any) client list to share? Because there's really zero transparency about you here other than your gallery of old images* and a facebook link (https://www.facebook.com/EricMilnerPhotography) that isn't working (really, facebook?) You consistently chime in acting like a photographer but there's no evidence of that.

*Further Eric hypocrisy; I can't find an image in your gallery here that's newer than 2012. So in your tiny mind, the date a photo is captured and uploaded somehow dismisses the fact that LR can see and edit images that are off line. Your statement continues to be wrong. No amount of my photo background changes that thankfully.

35. EricM

EricM Planet Eric

And more fluff. Just links to your photography is all that is asked. And when you come back with them, maybe you answer the question? In Lr, how do you export a full size 16 bit tiff from a dng that is disconnected from your computer?

36. digitaldog

digitaldog Andrew Rodney

And more fluff​
    Those would be facts but as a massive fact denier, your text was expected. Meanwhile, the questions asked of you, to show your photo chops, client list and (really, facebook?) page that doesn't work has been ignored by you. So typical!
    Just links to your photography is all that is asked.​
    And I provided them! That you're unable to figure out how to click on them and see the photo's (here or on my web site) only illustrates you're really not too sharp Eric~.
    In Lr, how do you export a full size 16 bit tiff from a dng that is disconnected from your computer?​
    Time to play the new game for PhotoNet members (no, actually just one) called "Stupid Software Questions". In this game, our host Eric~ posts text as a software authority only to prove to his peers that his text probably should be ignored. In this game, we'll provide multiple choice stupid questions anyone who has studied a software product shouldn’t have to ask but our resident photographer and software/hardware expert and host will ask anyway.
    Pick the one that illustrates "This is a really stupid software question and Eric~ should know better than ask:"
    Your options today are:
    1. In Bridge, how do you open a Microsoft Word doc and edit the text?
    2. In LR, how do you open a Excel doc and enter a calculation?
    3. In LR, how do you export a full size 16 bit tiff from a dng that is disconnected from your computer and stored across town in a safety deposit box?
    4. Where in Photoshop is the tool to download your bank statements before reconciling your checking account?
    5. If a tree falls in the forest and no real photographers are shooting snapshots of dogs or street people nearby, how do you record that sound in Bridge?
    Bonus question: How old do photo's have to be in a PhotoNet gallery before the questions above are not idiotic?
    1. 1 year
    2. 5 years
    3. 1 million years
    4. They are all idiotic, always and forever