Lowel id light versus Litepanels LED lights

davesuarez

<p>I'm looking for a light to assist me with focusing during the dancing portion of a wedding. DJ's just love to turn off all the lights making sharp focus difficult. I'm concerned with the lights being to annoying to guests. Lowel id lights seem to be recommended most often however they get really hot and have a short battery life. The Litepanels stay cool and run on AA batteries which can be replaced as needed. Has anyone compared these two options?</p>

<p>You need continuous light if you are shooting video. Neither produce a lot of light, but good enough for video if you a within 10 feet or so. Either will appear pretty bright in a dark room. The Lowell light is used with incandenscent WB, and the LED is balanced for daylight. Either would be effective for focusing a still camera, but there is a better alternative.</p>

<p>If you are shooting stills, some flash units (e.g., Niikon) have a red light to assist in focusing. The light has a banded pattern which increases its effectiveness. Red light is much less disturbing in a dark room. It is effective up to about 10'. The flash itself is bright, but very brief.</p>