Low Luminance Values using Spyder and Photocal?

Howdy,

Am runing Photocal 2.7 and using the Spyder on a brand new Viewsonic

22" P225fb and am not getting the 85-95 for luminance that is claimed

to be needed (my values are in the low 70's). Am running 98SE, and

an NVidia GeForce 256 AGP video card.

I looked at the Colorvision web site and their FAQ said basically low

luminance values are a function of old monitors, which is not the

case here.

Anyone have any ideas on what to try next?

tnx

My 3 year old Samsung monitor is ok on the same set up.

Your problem is possibly the luminance or other shop calibration adjustments that are within the monitor case are out, or you have a faulty unit. Playing around inside the monitor case can be dangerous for the inexperienced in view of the high voltages present.

A good ploy would be to find a local monitor repair shop that has the test equipment to diagnose and calibrate your unit. Charges for this are usually fairly reasonible unless you need a new crt.

Here are a couple of ideas and a pair of comments:

If your monitor has a setting for video input voltage, make sure it matches what your video card puts out. The normal voltage levels are 0.7 or 1.0V. If you do not have spec sheets handy, trial and error is called for. See which one looks best.

The second idea is to play with the RGB gun settings. You can bump the value of all three upwards to increase the overll illumination. As long as the overall balance is maintained, you are in good shape.

Comments: The first is that the recommended value is overly bright unless you work under really bright lights. A luminance of 80 cd/M^2 will prolong the life of your monitor and likely lead to better matching between screen and print. The other possibility is a faulty Spyder. If you have access to another computer to try it with, do. If it can not reach white levels above 70ish, call ColorVision.