<p>Hi everyone and a happy new year to you all.<br>

As a releative newcomer to film and slide film in particular, I wondered whether anyone could recommend a loupe for looking at medium format slides (and could also be used for 35mm)? Either currently in production or second hand. Thanks!<br>

Ben</p>

<p >The loupe of choice must have sufficient magnification. Too much makes using it award. The more power the closer the loupe must be to the work. For most, 10x is the best compromise. When using, the loupe it is positioned as near to the eye as possible. The work to be viewed is brought up to the loop. Focusing is by moving the work closer or further from the loupe. If you ware eyeglasses, the loupe is placed against the eyeglass lens. </p>

<p >The working distance of the 10x loupe is ideal for viewing 35mm films. This distance is correct as it presents the correct perspective. This is achieved with the viewing distance is a near match to the taking focal length. The focal length of the 10x is 50mm, the same as the "normal" for the 35mm full frame camera. </p>

<p >A high magnification loupe of poor quality will display chromatic aberrations. A quality loupe is corrected (achromatic). The best and proven design is a Hastings Triplet. They are manufactured by various optical companies. I personally carry a Bousch & Lomb. You can find these on the web under Hastings Triplet. Try and avoid the urge to go higher than 10x. </p>

<p>Mamiya makes (made) a 3.5x loupe for 6x6 and a 4x and 5x loupe for 35mm. Each comes with two skirts - transluscent for prints and opaque aluminum for slides (or LF focusing). The quality is very near that of the Schneider at half the price. The level of distortion and chromatic aberation is much less than a 50mm camera lens used in this application, and the skirt holds it at the correct distance from the subject.</p>

<p>For magnifications greater than 5x, I recommend a Hastings Triplet from Edmund Optics or Bausch&Lomb. I have a 10x B&L, which is useful for checking critical focus, but has too much power for viewing the content (or focusing a view camera). There is no visible distortion or CA.</p>

<p>A cheap, simple lens "loupe" like the Gepe has huge amounts of field curvature, distortion and CA. The FOV is useful only in the very center. If all you need is a magnifier for occasional use, this may suffice. However you cannot use these for critical editing of slides or negatives. I suspect that those who tout them have never used anything better. As always, "Buy cheap, buy twice."</p>

<p>I have a Horizon model GHZ103 8x designed for 35mm. B&H is currently out of stock on it but show a 10x model GHZ102 available. The 8x is focusable. Nice for the price!<br>

<a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=horizon+loupe&N=0&InitialSearch=yes">http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=horizon+loupe&N=0&InitialSearch=yes</a><a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=horizon&ci=15293&N=4294205295"></a></p>

<p>It all depends on what you are looking for.</p>

<p>If you want to check for composition and exposure, a loupe that covers the full frame of your slide is the one you want. Some for medium format only have 3x power but make it very easy to judge a large number of slides. For 35mm I like the Rodenstock 4x.</p>

<p>For critical focus I like a loupe with 10x or more. It doesn't have to cover the whole frame.</p>

<p>For a light table I like the Just Normlicht brand. They are kind of expensive but they can be found on Ebay for a good price.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I have to disagree with you Mr. Ingold. The loupe does have a very minute amount of curvature to it, but, not to the extent you say. Usually noticable on landscapes and when the loupe is moved. This gentleman is new to slides, how many rolls is going to look at? 100 in the next 5-10 years? He did not mention that he was editing for publication either. Me, I would use the extra money for a better lightbox rather than a 50-75.00 loupe. Or buy mor film.</p>

<p>I have a Cabin Pro 8x PL-8 imported by Mamiya America Corporation for basic light table use. The PL-8M is a newer model, but nothing is showing up in Google for sellers, so these are only going to show up as used goods.</p>

<p>Loupes last forever -- and picking one that's comfortable is worth a drive to a store with a range to try out.</p>