"Lord of the Rings" Nikons

michael_chuang1

<p>It seems that two F4's and two F5's used on the Jackson <em>Lord of the Rings</em> movies are being auctioned off. <a href="http://www.juliensauctions.com/images/auctions/2013/trilogy-collection/flipbook/index.html#/68/">The catalog</a> says they anticipate this lot of four cameras to sell for up to $8000 USD. For that money I'd expect the bodies to come with proper Nikon body caps instead of those generic things, and I'd be particularly unhappy about that crappy push-on white cap on the bottom right F5. Perhaps I'm missing the point.</p>

<p>No connection and all that. Was amused by my own reaction to Lot #55.</p>

<p>That's really great. The rich movie stars buy expensive cameras that they then sell after they're done with them for more money then they bought them for. Money goes to money. What a deal?</p>

<p>OK this was from a production company. But I'm sure the catalog has stuff from the satrs themselves.</p>

<p>These are the cameras used by the still photographer on the set? They didn't appear in the movie? That means they're used cameras, not collectors' items. Despite the way they try to spin it in the catalog, the unit still photographer is one of the lowest people on the totem pole on a movie set. They generally aren't even allowed to make eye contact with the stars. One false move and you're out the door and replaced by the next guy from the union. <br /><br />I suppose some film fans wll buy just about anything. If they are trying to sell these cameras, how about the tape measure that was used to check the focus from the (movie) camera film plane to the tip of the actor's nose? The camel's hair brush that was used to clean the film gate between takes? Maybe a used role of gaffer's tape? :)</p>

• 2 months later...