Looks, Likes, & Comments

Photo.net does not. I think of Photo.net these days as simply a pretty bare platform. Over the years, some discussions here have had an influence. A few other photographers whose work speaks to me have had influence through their photos and their ideas. My own critiques of photos (something I did with gusto until that side of the site got broke by the redesign over two years ago) helped my ability to see. Exposure to the work of people at similar levels to my own helped broaden my range and taste. Articulating my thoughts on specific photos of others has probably been of the most benefit to me, helping me zero in on what’s visually and narratively important to me and getting me to look carefully and figure out how a photo was or wasn’t working for me. In many threads I’ve been involved with, I’ve been exposed by others to and researched myself various photographers and aspects of photography which has taught me much. A site like Photo.net has more ability than it’s realizing to provide information, stimulation, and learning, but it’s unfortunately become more interested in selling stuff to members than in being a well- or fully-functional community for learning and substantive sharing.
  • Like 3
There’s always something new under the sun.

It did long ago. When I first stumbled through the doors here in the late '90s, PN was thriving, well-moderated and visited regularly by smart, experienced,funny, generous people. Like today, there was a blowhard-in-residence quotient but it was kept marginal by hundreds of regular contributors who talked less about themselves and more about solutions to problems posted across the site. Looking back from 2019, PN worked largely because there was so little else to visit 20+ years ago. Current site traffic reflects the scale of change and its effect on this community. Longer intervals between visits now for me and less reason after each to drop in regularly.
  • Like 1

Like today, there was a blowhard-in-residence quotient but it was kept marginal by hundreds of regular contributors who talked less about themselves and more about solutions to problems posted across the site.

And there you have it from one of the chief blowhards who does nothing these days but complain about the site and other posters on it without actually contributing much of anything of substance.

I don't know why this guy continues to post here since he can't seem to make a comment here that's not derisive toward someone else...plus likes to lob bombs into discussions and run.

I need to add this poster to my ignore list since seeing a comment from him seems to always get my blood boiling-and when I've attempted to ask him to explain comments he's made he either chooses to ignore the request or realizes that he doesn't have any standing and CAN'T defend them.

What I miss most, as Shadow mentioned, is the discussion that often arose in connection with critiquing images. Critiques are still given, but many of them lack substance. Examples: Great capture; well seen; great work, etc. Such comments do nothing but possibly stroke the photographer's ego. Don't get me wrong, there still are members who provide meaningful critiques, whether positive or negative. As one still learning, receiving critiques like the examples I mentioned doesn't advance my growth one bit. Likes and admires, while involving positive feedback to some extent are cute little devices that should be limited to social media like Facebook.

Read my post, ffs. I never said one should never stop learning, I said one should learn to teach oneself

I read your post. I never liked being told what I should do.

More importantly, though, for me photography is about sharing. A photo of mine is often a springboard to the sharing of thoughts or feelings between me and a viewer. I’m not one who simply wants to put up my photos, get a bunch of views, and be done with it, wowed by the fact that hundreds or thousands of people have looked for a couple of seconds at what I’ve done.

Your story about the fish, which you obviously learned from some source who heard a somewhat-altered version of the original from British novelist Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie who adapted it from either ancient Chinese philosophy or Maimonides, See how learning works! Anyway, it may sound good to you and, if so, go for it. I find it a tad solipsistic and just a bit too self-reliant.

I want my photos to be as much of the world and in the world as of myself. I want them to be part of a greater dialogue. That doesn’t mean plagiarizing or mimicking on the one hand and doesn’t mean not learning or being influenced, not sharing and not allowing others to help open my eyes on the other. Teaching oneself doesn’t have to exclude learning from others. The two can co-exist just as surely as I can walk and chew gum at the same time. Me and not-me together have a certain energizing tension.

Looking at Weston’s fotos is a whole different ball game to PN critiques. For a start, it encourages you to think independently

Though my current profile is more recent, I’ve been around PN for 10+ years. “Critiques” were different years ago, when they were much more good discussions about our photos than merely pats on the back or a bunch of you ... should ... do this or that. They were an outlet for other photographers to give their genuine impressions of my photos and vice versa. We had some great discussions about what we were trying to do and whether we were accomplishing that. It was a good place to air out ideas, share and discuss experiments. You think Van Gogh and Gaugin didn’t critique each other’s work? What do you think Dorothy Parker and the folks of the Algonquin Round Table were doing if not learning from each other, while also horsing around a lot? Do you think whatever Picasso and Braque taught themselves was somehow undermined by what they learned from each other as their relationship and work grew more and more intertwined?

Edited by The Shadow
  • Like 1

I find all this stuff aboot old blokes still learning and depending on critiques quite amusing so let me retell a simple story

Once upon a time, a bloke was walking down der road and he saw anuther bloke who was starving so the first bloke gave him a fish. The starving bloke grabbed the fish, wolfed it doon and then asked for more. The generous bloke then said, “learn to catch yer own fish”

Ludmilla, if you knew anything about learning, you'd be aware that it's an individual matter. Sorry this old bloke doesn't measure up to your standards.

constant feedback

Who said anything about constant feedback? I’d prefer to stick to the case at hand. Some folks would like a functioning critique section on PN. That doesn’t need to be exaggerated into “constant feedback.”

• Like 1

Touchy-touchy?

Yes. When someone comes into a room and looks down her nose with ... er ... amusement ... (Internet code word alert) at the “old blokes” I get touchy. Guilty as charged. I’ll never be too old to be touchy.

Do you really think how they worked is relevant to amateur photographers?

Yes. Why wouldn’t an amateur benefit from knowing how the masters worked?

• Like 1

So, are you suggesting, in the abscence of critiques you have not learnt anything?

Ludmilla, apparently your thinking is rather narrow in scope. I'm not saying anything like what you attributed to me. Certainly I learn from meaningful and constructive critiques of my photographs, but this doesn't entail that critiques are the only way I learn. My earlier point was simply that I miss the sort of give and take that arose in critiquing images, which don't occur as frequently.

One final point - - - At 71 years of age, I still live a full life, which includes writing poetry, playing piano and digital synthesizers, and volunteering in my community. After 30+ years spent in gyms lifting weights, I still train vigorously 4 days a week.so lay off the old bloke bs.

• Like 1

But you’ve already had 10+ years of critiques so I doubt you need any more.

If you re-read my description of what the PN critique pages used to be like (I’ll reproduce it below), you’ll see that they were the kinds of discussions that will always be valuable. Additionally, don’t necessarily assume it would all be about learning for me, which I do believe doesn’t end. The critique discussions could be challenging, thought-provoking, and inspiring. They could give me that extra nudge. When it was about learning, it wasn’t the kind of learning you get from a third-grade teacher. It was the kind of learning that takes place when you challenge each other to dig a little deeper and to articulate stuff out loud, which can be a lot more effective than thinking stuff alone, which sometimes allows much more room to be fuzzy.

“Critiques” were different years ago, when they were much more good discussions about our photos than merely pats on the back or a bunch of you ... should ... do this or that. They were an outlet for other photographers to give their genuine impressions of my photos and vice versa. We had some great discussions about what we were trying to do and whether we were accomplishing that. It was a good place to air out ideas, share and discuss experiments.

Anyway, if you’re not interested in such discussions of your photos and those of others, by all means stay far away from them. Whether or not a discussion like this one is comparatively worthwhile is for each of us to decide. I’ll hint at my decision by saying “goodnight.”

As well as looking down your nose at ‘likes’ :)

"Likes" serve no purpose except to register a viewer's momentary, gut reaction to an image. I'm very proud of looking down my nose at them. Sadly, since those who regularly post images to various forums may not post for critique, I must play the game. It takes effort to write critiques, but posting likes requires no effort or thought.

One last thought about age. Tomorrow I will read a poem at the funeral of a good friend for more than 40 years. Try imagining what it's like to have such experiences. You need some lessons in sensitivity.