Looking to update/upgrade monitor/computer

<p>I am getting ready to upgrade my computer and monitor. I am likely going to stay with Dell for the computer to make it easy for my wife. She has to have a PC for her work related projects and so Apple is not a possibility. I also already have PS and Lightroom for PC's. So my questions are, which monitors, in the 22-24 inch range would you recommend? I have looked through the recent posts and lean towards either an NEC or Dell. I am hoping to not have to spend two years studying computers to figure out how to get it to calibrate so it matches up with my Epson 3800 printer, as well as PS and LR. Any suggestions for something that allows me to spend minimal time in getting it set up and operating and also won't break the bank? Clearly, there are a number of models in each line, and they change frequently, so if you have an idea on specific models, that would be helpful. Also, what are the minimum hardware requirements you would want to effectively utilize PS and LR. Thanks in advance for your input</p>

<p>NEC 2690wuxi cost around 1250$, a 26 inch monitor (no calibration device included and no spectraview software)<br /><br />NEC 2490wuxi cost arount 1100$, a 24 inch monitor (no calibration device included and no spectraview software)<br /><br />NEC P221 cost arount 750$$, a 21inch monitor (WITH calibration device included and spectraview software)<br /><br />Dell u2410 cost around 550$, a 24inch monitor (no calibration device )</p>

<p>You also want to take the calibration device package from NEC if you buy a NEC, its a software call Spectraview + a Eye1 D2 NEC rebranded.</p>

<p>If you go with the Dell get a spider3 pro or a eye1 display 2 for sure.</p>

<p>____</p>

<p>You dont calibrate for your particular printer, you are calibrating it for a standard. If you calibrate your monitor, read your 3880 manual (or the post below) you should be able to produce good print in no time.</p>

<p>http://www.photo.net/digital-darkroom-forum/00OftB</p>

<p>____</p>

<p>minimum hardware is at least 4gig or better 8gig of ram, 1TB HD internal, 2TB HD if you can.. but one external HD of at least twice the size of the internal one for <em><strong>REGULAR</strong></em> backup.</p>

<p>Howard, Thanks, I know that's possible. I have a MacBook that I travel with. I need to keep it uncomplicated and easy for my wife, and she is comfortable with our current dell and the PC's she uses at work.<br>

Patrick,<br>

Thanks for your specificity. The 26 inch would be great, but from a space standpoint, I just can't make it fit. How much of a difference does the processor speed make, and would you say the quad core is worth the extra money Also, does the video card or any other hardware make a noticeable difference? Again, thanks for your insights.<br>

m</p>