Speed Graphic but have discovered as of yet these are not for sale as

commonly as say a Crown Graphic. Features I liked were the rotating

back and light weight with the fast shutter. Does anyone know if the

Crown or Speed has a rotating back? Or if there the other missing

features on the Crown are really that big of a deal? Or if the

weight difference on the Speed Graphic is that big of a deal as

well? Movement differences? Just looking for a little help on the

differences. Thanks.

Good choice! The Super Graphic is/was the only model to have the rotating back, as far as I know. Some guys had an auxilliary tripod socket put on the side for vertical format. Crown/Pacemaker graphic cameras are lighter than the Speed Graphics, because the focal plane shutter was eliminated. (good move, IMO) Super Graphics are the last of the breed, and have a metal body, rather than wood, which isn't that big a deal. The front movements will not be that much different between Graphic models, if any at all. The Bushman Press Camera also has a rotating back, and more front movement,(how much do you need, anyway?) I have read. The extra shutter speed of 1/1000 sec. was a marketing thing, because you seldom need more than 1/500 with a a press/field camera. A good lens in a good shutter is the most important thing. Good luck in your search, and enjoy what you buy.

• 2 weeks later...

Todd,

I'm late to the table here, but for those that see this in the future I have to correct the misinformation on the super posted above. It "DOES" have more front movements than previous graflex models. +/- 15deg tilt, drop bed adds 15deg more down tilt. It has a whopping 25deg's of right and left swing. 1/2 inch of right and left shift, and about 1 1/8 inch of rise. It beats the Bush pressman out on swing, but everything else is about equal. It is lighter than the pressman. Both are all metal bodies. Crowns do not have front tilt. The only way to get it is to either reverse the front standard, or drop the bed and us rise and back tilt to compensate to the correct degree of movement.

I was where you are in making a decision between crowns or the super about a year ago, and am very glad I went with the Super. If you are into landscapes then the super is the way to go. Enjoy.