Looking for some assistance in deciding which lens to use for

some group photos I will be taking in April. While I'm not a wedding

photographer, I do take photos of events for the clubs I am a member of for our

websites. A lot of these photos are of a group performing dances so I think

wide angle is what I need. I've just made the plunge into a DSLR so I am still

very amateur.

My current equipment is a D200, 50mm 1.4, 24-85 2.8-4 (on order..expected

Thursday) and an 18-200mm VR (bought with camera). I'm also contemplating a

12-24mm Tokina if I can make a case to justify it.

Is my current equipment sufficient and which would be the best lens(es) to use.

Thanks in advance.

Wendy

I'm actually thinking of selling the 18-200 and getting that lens. I'm buying the 24-85 because its more affordable for me right now. Is that a mistake? I'll be able to return it then I can wait till I can afford the better one. Plz advise.

Most photgraphy is best done with a normal lens. Use wide or tele if you can`t change where you stand or you wish to change the size relationship between forground and background.

Moving in close makes the background small compared to the subject and moving back makes it large. Changing to wide or tele just adjusts cropping in camera and has nothing to do with the size relationships.

Stop trading lenses. Save your money and get what you need as you need it. Cheap consumer zooms are not good value unless you want to just shoot average pics and not change lenses.

Thanks Ronald for your input. I can not change where I need to stand for certain situations. Which is why I considered wide angle.

Which of these lenses are considered cheap consumer zooms...the 24-85 or the 18-200...or both? I only want to spend my money on a quality lens that I won't have to replace later...so waiting is always an option.

Be gentle...I am still a novice.

Tho most common lens for a social event is wide to normal. With a D200, a 50mm lens is actually a short telephoto (75mm equiv). The 17-55 is probably good for 80 percent or more of the shots, including the formal groups. Informal groups (candids) are nearly always taken at close range (due to crowding), requiring a wide angle lens.

An 18-200 is on the slow side for social events. Much flash work is done at ISO 400 and f/5.6, which is nearly wide open for this lens. The 17-55 is squarely in its "sweet spot", with room to spare for low light.

The next most useful lens, for weddings, would be a 70-200/2.8 VR. This is especially good for altar shots during the ceremony, and can be used (via VR) without a tripod down to 1/15 second. At the short end, it is appropriate for head and shoulder portraits. A super-wide 12-24 would be the last choice, more for novelty than utility.

The 24-85 is neither fast nor exceptional in any way, and overlaps in form and function with the 18-200. Take a pass on this lens until you can afford something better (like the 17-55).