Looking for Information on a Plaubel Makina IIS

gunbu

<p>First, a Happy New Year for evereyone!<br>

Since my old Plaubel still hasn't found any repair - it might become too expensive - I was lucky to find myself a wonderful replacement. This Plaubel I could buy for a reasonable price however shows some peculiarities, things I have so far not found on this particular model. Different from usual it has a black enamel front, which otherwise only the older models up to Makina II have. Now, it could have been a replacement from an older camera but for some reasons I do not believe this.So I am looking for some information on this camera and its history, as the seller could not provide any infos.<br>

I will post a photo for some further explanations:</p><div>00VOVt-205825584.jpg.36d92a975bb6ce77ec5ca57e17c8530e.jpg</div>

<p>On the left side there is a red triangle visible. This is for matching the lens when mounting. As far as I know this traingle is found on the post war version, prewar just has a dot (Makinas IIS have been produced between 1936 - 1948 I believe).As the model II has a different system for mounting the lenses this black front must have been made for this model! I have personally never seen a IIS with a black front - glad, if someone might know more! Next, usually on the top right of the lens board, on the prewar version there is "D.R.P." (Deutsches Reichtspatent) engraved, regardless which model, post war versions have a "Compur" in this place (and instead of the "Compur" below left "Germany"). From the serial number of the lens this should be prewar, the barrel however clearly is post war! Aperture-engraving changed from 4,5/6/9/12/18/25 to the more regular 4/5,6/8/11/16/22.<br>

The most odd however, is the serialnumber of the camera itself. Instead of the usual one or two letters and three or more numbers there is is nothing but a single "K"!<br>

Has anyone seen something like that before or knows about a similar camera / the (maybe) meaning of this K? I would appreachiate any comment!</p>

<p>My question: has anyone seen something similar? Or knows about this type of serial no.?</p>

<p>I'm no expert; but I do have a <em>Kadlubeks Katalog</em> . As you say, the only Makina acknowledged as having a black front is one version (1933) of the Makina II. Ditto for McKoewn's.</p>

<p>Could it be that it is the lens only that has been altered? Or could it have been altered for some particular market when it was built? The old 4.5/6.3/9... (1/3rd stop) series was used by "some foreign lenses" according to an old source, with the more common 4/5.6/8/11... series used "internationally" after some point. I don't know about Plaubel, but a lot of German manufacturers between 1933 and 1948 used whatever parts and so on that they could find or get somehow.</p>

<p>JDM, thanks, I believe it was not only the lens that was changed - whoever put all this package together has done it so professionally, that I do not believe it was a independent repairman. There still is this odd serial no. on the camera. It shows many features of the later IIS and III models. The front of the viewfinder is clearly postwar, the back (with parallax correction) is black as in the II. At the right side of the camera you can see the attachment for the neck strap, this is prolonged, as for using a Makiblitz flashgun, however, there is no flash connection on the camera! So, this might be later changes, but the black front ist definetely original and made for a IIS (not a III). My solution is that it was put together during the war or right after in the factory with whatever was left, or maybe on special demand? The seller claims he bought it in England.<br>

For comparison you might like to look here, this is my older, prewar model:<br>

<br /> http://www.photo.net/classic-cameras-forum/00Qjdr</p>