Looking for info: M Summicron 2,0/50mm

hi there,

I am very happy with my R-version Summicron and consider buying one for M-system.

Can somebody tell me some details about a M-Summicron 2,0/50mm with serial 2518***?

(version, performance, what would you pay for a used one in B-condition etc.; maybe there

are pics out there of those summicrons?)

thanks a lot, Markus.

It's one of the best, if that says anything at all. It is used by many as a Leica standard to compare other lenses with. All you need to consider is the focal length of the lens. Everything else has been taken care of by Leica.

I agree it's a 1972. It should be the lightweight black barrel model. That would be the 11817 (Leica catalog number). I would have called it version III: Version I being the collapsible; Version 2, the rigid/Dual Range; Version III, the 11817; Version IV, the model with tab focusing.

Version IV is a different optical formula, but as an owner of all versions, I see no performance difference between III and IV.

In B condition? Just how "B" is it? a little scuffed, but optically and mechanically perfect? How about $400 to $425 or so? I think a fair price for one with only minor signs of use and wear ought to fetch around $450 to $475. Really banged up? I wouldn't buy it! But a lot depends on the area and whether it's a private sale, or from a dealer.

Thank you Rob. Actually it is sold by LEICA BEI MEISTER in germany and the price is higher

than what you suggest here. In $ around 770$! It is delivered with lens hood and should

be technically perfect. Signs of usage on the outside only. Maybe more like C than B.

They also have newer version, but they sell for even more. What do you think?

<I>...and I guess I'll buy it. (if not anyone jumps in here with arguments against a buy).</I><P>

<I>...In $ around 770$!</I><P>

The only thing I could think of is that price. I have both the latest optical version (penultimate with tab and separate hood) and the 1969 version. In real world use, not some test chart, I would bet you could not pick one over the other when viewing slides on the light table. They are both great, and my only reason for prefering the latest is the ergonimics of the tab versus the tab-less lens.<P>

But that price... I may be wrong, since I haven't bought any Leica gear in some time, but my 1969 lens came on an M4 and together they were only 100 Dollars more than you are paying for the lens alone.<P>

<I>...maybe there are pics out there of those summicrons?</I><P>

Here are both the penultimate and 1969 Summicrons side-by-side.<div>0082zb-17679384.jpg.4ca57c203faba0065826f09fcf8d8d96.jpg</div>

I think about the price, too. It is the cheapest on the list. Compare:<p>

650,- for that one, same version of 50/2 in better condition: 695,-.<br>

with serial 2609*** 699.-.<br>

same for 3357***, up to 800.- for current version in b-condition.<p>

And so on...(all is EURO, of course)<br>

The only ones that go for around 300-500 EURO depending on condition are the

collapsible or rigid versions.

Markus,

People love to tell how cheap they got things, so maybe it is better to look at prices on the web and compare yourself. That said Leica Beimaster are very expensive for Leica and Rolleiflex. I managed to find a 50 cron - latest optical version with tab and hood, superb condition, in Frankfurt for 399 Euro two years ago, which, then, was $340. But it was a one off; the shop had just bought it and I just happened to come by.

If you look at KEH prices they range from $465 for a bargain to $650 for Ex+. I would expect to pay between $500 and $550 for one in Excellent condition, and probably the same in euros, but I am patient.

Markus, mine (of the same vintage) cost me around $500 in a B- condition without hood in a shop in Zürich. I wasn't aware by then, that this wasn't a bargain. It will never be in a _shop_ in a big European city like Hamburg or Zürich - compared to prices you can obtain from private sellers (guess why...) - but then professional re-sellers have to grant a 2 year warranty even on used stuff in the EU these days. <p>If you are on a tight budget try the German *bay to avoid overseas shipment and customs (heavy in Germany!) for imports. I bet you will find a comparable lens for about 75% or less. But you need to be patient and invest time. Only you can decide what you have more to spend of. Good luck.

Here I now have a pic of it, also price changed to 599 EUR. What do you think?

Lutz, thanks for your advice. There are not a lot 'crons on ebay right now, one will finish

the next few days. I'll wait and see for that one and then decide, although I may take the

risk the Leica Bei Meister lens will be gone by then. I'll see.<div>0083SV-17691684.jpg.2996ef2b0136be74434aad9b1d7f1a2d.jpg</div>